·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading out now for a morning post. I'll post details when I return. John

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Matt & I went out this morning... I saw a fawn laying in high grass... Matty fell out of his tree. (He's okay...safety harness).

I moved my treestand. Matty is going up this afternoon to scout and put up some more stands.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
THANK GOD FOR SAFETY HARNESSES!

Im always very cautious and careful when in stands, but this time I picked a tree that I probably shouldnt have. It had all loose bark on it, and as I was climbing, the whole treestand and climbing aid, simultaniously broke free, slipped on the bark and slid down the tree. I was about 18 feet up when it happened, the platform almost came off my feet, but I pinned it with my left foot. The shock of falling almost sent my glasses to the ground, scraped up my thumb knuckle and knocked the wind out of me. Luckily I recovered both parts of the stand, and climbed down. I picked a different tree, and sat there all morning.

I normally dont climb with my belt attached the whole way up, but luckily I had JUST connected it.

Wear your harnesses guys! :eek:

By the way, my team may want to trade me this season. Ive had nothing but bad luck. From smashed toes, to almost falling out of a tree.:( I dont know if anything will go my way this year.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Good job Matty.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Good save. Imagine Drag having to climb the tree to save you:) To be serious do you guys carry radios in the woods to check in with each other? I sometimes hunt with a friend in his 70 I like to check on him from time to time via radio.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got home. I bumped 3 Deer on the way in . Saw nothing but a Woodchuck while on stand.Lots of Mosquitos.I will be back out Thursday AM if its not raining.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Matty needs " ON STAR "
or a LIFE ALERT.
" I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T REACH MY BOW "
You aint kidding!:eek:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I am beginning to believe this is matty's first time hunting!!!! Matty, are you sure you know what hunting is??

·
3,413 Posts
I normally dont climb with my belt attached the whole way up, but luckily I had JUST connected it.
Once streched from the impact from a fall your should replace your harness. It just like a seat belt in a car, once impacted they need to be replaced.

Matty glad to here you're OK.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Was out at Black River WMA tonight. Rained hard 1/2 hour, my Gortex pants work great, Dry-Plus jacket leaked (time to invest in Gortex jacket). missed a doe, pulled back and had water in my peep, tryed to blow it out, but still missed. she had 2 small ones with spots following her, passed on them. there is always the weekend.

C

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
By the way, my team may want to trade me this season. Ive had nothing but bad luck. From smashed toes, to almost falling out of a tree. I dont know if anything will go my way this year.
No, we can't do that...but maybe we can get a handicap...say about 30 points? :D I'm sure you'll turn it around, it's a long way to Feb 15. I took one of my nicest bucks after falling in a creek on the way to the satand at 4:30am, then had the landowners son come walking in on me at first light, wanting to use the stand before going to school. It was my stand, I was there first, but I let the kid have it and decided to do some still hunting along the side of the small ridge. I saw 3 bucks, a bunch of does and took a nice buck from the ground at 12 yards. On the way out, I fell in that darn creek again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts