New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.leoneforassembly.com

NewJerseyHunter.com: What are your thoughts regarding NJ's strict gun control laws that
infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens?

JL: I believe that New Jersey's 'gun control' laws are a clear violation of our 2nd Amendment right to keep and BEAR arms. If elected, I would push for legislation that would enable citizens of our state to carry concealed weapons, subject to a criminal background check. Taking the right-to-carry from law-abiding citizens directly harms public safety and makes our citizens easy targets for criminal activity.

NewJerseyHunter.com: Would you support a State Constitutional Amendment that guarantees New
Jersey residents the right to hunt, fish, and trap, subject only to reasonable regulations?

JL: Yes.

NewJerseyHunter.com: What are you feelings on the sport of hunting, and your views on the NJ Black Bear problems?

JL: I do not hunt regularly myself, but I support the right of people to hunt in a legal and responsible way. I own several acres of land and plan to bow-hunt on it this year.
I feel that bear populations should be managed the 'old-fashioned way.' With guns.

I feel that 'bear-proofing' does not avoid all human-bear conflicts, and is therefore inadequate to fully address the problem. 'Bear-proofing' may help in certain situations, but such methods are not a complete solution.

NewJerseyHunter.com: Who should have the final say regarding hunting on federal land in NJ? Federal judges or NJ Fish & Wildlife biologists?

JL: I believe that the New Jersey legislature, with advice from state biologists, should regulate hunting on these lands in NJ. As accountable, elected representatives, the legislature are the officials most likely to carry out the will of the people. As the only legitimate government is one that rules by the consent of the governed, I believe this to be the best solution for this issue.

I oppose any action by the federal government that prohibits people of this state doing as they please on land in this state. Federal oversight of usage of land within our state seriously detracts from the sovereignty of New Jersey and of the freedoms of its people.

Doesn't the federal government have its own land to manage in Washington D.C.?

NewJerseyHunter.com: Would you support legislation such as S2475/A3736 which would permit
Sunday bowhunting for Whitetail deer on private property and state Wildlife Management Areas?

JL: Yes.

NewJerseyHunter.com: Would you support legislation that would reduce the safety zone from
450' to 150' for bowhunters, similar to the law just enacted in PA?

JL: I'm not sure what the ramifications of this legislation are because I am unfamiliar with it. Could you send me some information on the pros and cons of this? With some more information, I will be able to answer this question.

NewJerseyHunter.com: Would you support or oppose legislation that would expand and alter
the make of the Fish & Game Council, to include representatives from
recognized anti-hunting organizations?

JL: I would oppose this kind of legislation.

NewJerseyHunter.com: Are you in favor of having the Fish & Game Council establish a Black
Bear hunting season in New Jersey based upon sound scientific research
and recommendations as presented by the NJ Division of Fish &
Wildlife?

JL: I am in favor of this.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Great answers except for this one:

NewJerseyHunter.com: Who should have the final say regarding hunting on federal land in NJ? Federal judges or NJ Fish & Wildlife biologists?

JL: I believe that the New Jersey legislature, with advice from state biologists, should regulate hunting on these lands in NJ. As accountable, elected representatives, the legislature are the officials most likely to carry out the will of the people. As the only legitimate government is one that rules by the consent of the governed, I believe this to be the best solution for this issue.

·
3,413 Posts
What District is he running in?

·
3,413 Posts
Great answers except for this one:

I agree with BT on this, Mr. Leone would need to be educated to how the F&G Council works and who comprises it.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
bloodtrails...that's not too bad.
Drag,

Just ask striper fishermen how they like politicians deciding fish laws and limits.

The "the will of the people" has nothing to do with sound scientific wildlife management. I don't want some politician from Bayonne, representing people who cannot recognize an animal unless it was in a zoo, telling me how many deer I can take or at what time of year.

Wildlife management should be up to biologists, scientists with an overseeing council independent of politics. Exactly what we have now.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Many people, hunters and fishermen included, do not know what a great system we have in place right now in NJ. The Fish and Game Council is as close to a perfect system of wildlife management as you can get. The sportsmen have a voice through the council.

·
3,413 Posts
This guy is running for Assembly in Dist 3 (Salem County). In Dist 3 Assemblyman Fisher & Senator Sweeney are GREAT friends to sportsmen & women in NJ.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm in Salem County and both Fisher and Sweeney are good to sportsman and women. I agree politics and religion have there place and it isn't management. Religion about god and belief and politics about majority and money. At the home page it states there are 170,000 hunters, probably three times that many fisherman and 1/100th trappers. How many people reside here. We are the minority. The hope is the sqweeky wheel gets the grease. Your vote, your voice, and your memberships are working for your beliefs.

Till our trails cross,
Ryan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts