New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a 700BDl in Remington 300 ultra-mag,shooting 180 gr.Core-Lokt soft points. Question, enough gun for Elk,deer,and black bear. 100-150 yard shots.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now ,the biggewr question, the ms. can handle a .270, should she be side lined for these hunts?

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx guy's good job !!!!!!!!!!!!! As always

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The mrs. is only 5'3" 132#'s, is the 30-06 a bit much ?

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
True about load weight. She gets 4" groups with Lightfields.3" with reduced recoil Remington Buckhammers. Gotta' hit that sweetspot. That 500 Mossbergis great for everbody.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
THATS PLENTY ALLRIGHT,A BIT MUCH FOR DEER
If you think that is a bit much I wont tell you about the 338 Win Mag that I have taken Deer with.
It should have its own set of wheels and hook up to a trailer hitch LOL The deer is killed,gutted and cooked all at the same time LOL!

·
Registered
68 Posts
300 Win Mag is more than enough for elk and too much IMO for deer. Exception would be if this is your only gun. You can take a grizzly with most .30 cal magnums, so that should put it into perspective.

I also prefer the .270 hands down for deer over the either the brush busting .30-.30 and the heavyweight .30-.06 because it's a better match. The ladies (and anybody for that matter) may make a better shot if they can worry less about recoil.

May get flack for this but a .270 with 140gr bullet is enough for elk with the right shot placement under 200yds; however, a 7mm mag with 160gr bullet or a .30 cal will be much more effective. For perspective again, Guns and Ammo tested 7mm mag and put a 140gr bullet through the backend of a fleeing deer that exited the chest from over 100 yards. Good luck and good shooting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts