New Jersey Hunters banner

6 lb channel cat pic

3K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  hankpage 
#1 ·
Went fishing in the 73 degree flooded Millstone River yesterday evening. Only landed a yellow perch and black crappie on a small jig and a 4.5 lb carp and 6 lb channel catfish with my homemade corn meal bait. Kept the carp and released the other 3 fish. Catfish fought harder and longer than the carp.

Attachments

See less See more
#18 ·
I haven't looked at them on ebay,imagine they come in all price ranges.My first real, reel as a kid,these reel's were as famous in the day as Joe DiMaggio.I have about 5 or 6 diff. one's and a 308 and 304.There's another model for the 300 in lefty.A couple I have were made in originally france.Easiest way to tell is the anti reverse lever is a 45 angle an the next generation straight lever.Iv'e even could 14lb bluefish on these puppie's with no drag binding.Just scrum in hot soapy water after use!Simple reel's grease and oil,careful handles screw off easy so get a backup AND spare bail spring's.

#19 ·
I still have three old Mitchel 300's that I use. I tore the gears up on one with braided line so I stick to mono now with them.

Last year a guy came over to me when I was fishing and when he got next to me he said "I thought that was the sound of an old Mitchel 300 bail closing." Yes, they have a very distinctive sound to the bail and drag. NIce fish.

#25 ·
They grow fast ... this one (although albino) was 7 lbs after only four years and out grew my pond. The spike on his dorsal was over 2" long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.