New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know what you guys will hold out for during 6 day. Will you take the first buck that walks by or will you be selective?

Also, would your answer be different if the bag limit was one buck only.

There's no right or wrong answer here, I just want to know what you think.

As for me, I'm going to be selective, if it isn't at least 100" or better I'm not taking it, even if it's the last day of the season.

G

·
well normally the 1st buck I see would get harvested, but so far I have a 5 and the 9 pointer, so I will let those smaller bucks walk, and be more selective. If it was one buck only I will still be selective cause allowing that smaller buck to walk for another year will make him bigger and my choice easier. The only way I take a small buck out is if it's injured. And for bears, 300lbs plus and then I will take it

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
If its brown... its going down.

LOL... just kidding.

It depends where I am at and what the situation of the area is.

For example, at hkdonfishn's property...its the last year he can hunt before it turns into a horse farm... therefore...

"Hey Sean... here comes that 6 pointer you passed on during bow.... ka booom!"

"Hey Sean... here comes that 4 pointer that walked under my ladder during bow... ka boom!"

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Ive never had much luck during six day. But I won't shoot anything less than a 6 and not a scrubby 6.I let about a 15 - 20 small bucks walk by this year with the bow.
Hopefully I finally get a good buck with the shotgun Monday.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I'm gonna p [no swearing please] on 6 day, if the weather is decent I'm gonna bowhunt Allaire and hope a buck that's thinks everyone went bear hunting, wanders past my stand.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
The usual 8pt or better. I will only take one buck regardless of a second tag.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Point restrictions are interesting. 8 pointers can vary from scrubby racks to giant 160+ cl [no swearing please] deer. 6 pointers can have a wide range as well, a 6 pointer was shot in Kansas that scored nearly 170!!!. Heck there's a 4 pointer running around where I hunt that I passed up half a dozen times during archery season that has a spread that must be 16-18"
At the opposite end, I once saw a yearling scrub buck with 11 points that wasn't a shooter by any means.
That's why I like to say 100" is the minimum for me. I do like shooting 8's or better, BUT if a 100"+ 6 pointer comes by me I will certainly go BOOM :D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
first bear I see is a wall hanger.

Buck wise, I'm going to let them walk till 2:30 pm then if he's the right size he's going down.

·
11,226 Posts
Well I guess I will see how I feel at the time the buck walks by me.... Maybe I'll wait for a bigger buck .. Maybe a spike bites the dust! Hopefully a wall hanger walks by first and I wont need to think about this question!;)[up]

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I guess it depends on the weather. If it's cold and nasty, I'll take the first decent size deer, doe or buck, that comes along. No sense freezing my butt off. But if it's nice, I'll probably wait for nice buck.

David

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I wont shoot a buck inless its a big 2.5 year old or better. I let two different 2 1/2 year old 8 pointers walk in bow season after I shot my 9 so I will let most of the bucks walk unless he is really really nice or unique. I will only get out a couple of afternoons for a couple of hours so my expectations are just to enjoy the hours in the woods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.