New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an earlier thread someone asked about the legality of shooting out of your house.

Personally I would let your neighbors know that you are shooting if they can see or hear you, but the 450 foot rule applies ONLY to Hunting.
As long as your Town does not have a ruling about discharge or noise etc. then you are free to shoot your bow or rifle.

Obviously you are responsible for your target and beyond. If your neighbors have kids or livestock that may roam in your direction then it just makes common sense to give them a heads up ;)

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I understand that the 450ft rule doesn't apply to target shooting, but I thought you were hunting and you explained that. [smoke]

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Others had questioned any shooting with 450 of a building per the F&G compendium :)

I just thought that this should be general knowledge, if it isn't already.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I know from first hand experience that as long as your town doesn't have any discharge laws, you are free to target shoot within 450 of a building. A fish and game officer came to my house one afternoon just to tell me this.[hihi]

Based on that experience, I do recommend letting your neighbors know before hand if you plan on shooting. And remember safety, you are responsible if any projectiles go astray and wind up causing harm or damage to another person or their property. Personally, I rest much easier just going to the range and not having to worry about the chance of that happening.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
And remember safety, you are responsible if any projectiles go astray and wind up causing harm or damage to another person or their property. Personally, I rest much easier just going to the range and not having to worry about the chance of that happening.
So true. My friends shoot compound bows with releases, one day a friend and myself were shooting in a field, he nocked an arrow, attached his release and started to draw his bow back but not from the ground up. He drew from the sky down, as he was drawing back about half way he touched the release by mistake and off went the arrow God knew where, needless to say he felt like crap not knowing where it went, no one reported anything, but he was done for the day and nervous for a good week.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
wow. sounds like he's shooting too much weight mike c. People who are drawing more weight than they are comfortable with tend to start at the sky. very dangerous.... I shoot behind my best friends place and we shoot from a treestand with a block with a concrete garage behind it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
H.W. Longfellow knows where that arrow went :D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
wow. sounds like he's shooting too much weight mike c. People who are drawing more weight than they are comfortable with tend to start at the sky. very dangerous....
Yep...Your right that is what I said. He backed it down a bit as it was cranked all the way.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
450 ft. from building or playground, occupied or not. UNLESS you have written permission from land owner in possession.
That is a F&G HUNTING rule!
F&G does not regulate target practice.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
If you are wanting to target shoot as long as your township has no discharge laws you can really do it in your front lawn if you wanted to, If you are wanting to hunt out of your yard that is a different story

·
Registered
139 Posts
i spoke to a police officer about this same issue the other day cause we are going target shooting in my buddys field which has developments around it. He told me there is a state law for target shooting that mimics the 450ft hunting rule

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
i spoke to a police officer about this same issue the other day cause we are going target shooting in my buddys field which has developments around it. He told me there is a state law for target shooting that mimics the 450ft hunting rule
i figured there would be something like that...but i would have to see it in writing before i believed it 100%...

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I've never seen that anywhere, that's the first I've ever heard of that. What I was told by the CO's was that 450 only applies to hunting, for target shooting the only restrictions would be a local no discharge ordinance.

but i would have to see it in writing before i believed it 100%...
I agree. My experience has been that most LEO's know very little about the firearm laws in this state.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The local high school has archery targets right in the parking lot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts