New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 450 foot rule pertain to the building or dwelling itself or the property line on which the building sits??

I guess in other words if the building is 500 feet from my shooting area and the property line for the building is 50 away am I OK?

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
yup i hunt a spot where the property line is 20 yrds away and i only have 40 yrds total

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
The 450' rule applies from a linear distance from any "occupied structure." its not from the property line, but from the structure. So if the structure is 200' from the property line, you must be 250' from the line to hunt. "occupied structure" is not limited to a home, but can include sheds, garage etc..any place where you expect people may be.

This is the one rule that gets lots of attention, and lots of miscommunication. Lots of land owners think its 450' from their property line-But that's not the law. Its 450' from the structure itself.

A range finder is a big help on this. whenever I set up a stand close to someone else's property, the first thing I do is range the distance from the stand to the nearest structure to ensure I'm correct if and whenm the CO gets called by the neighboring property owner-On many occassions I've found notes in my stands saying I was "to close" I politely replied with a nock on their door, explained the law, and ensured them that I laser ranged the stand site, and was fully compliant-some times that's not enough, and I've been checked by CO's on at least 2 occassions for allegedly being "to close" both times, I was perfectly legal-but on one occassion I had to abandon the stand location, as the neighbor would conveniently "cut his lawn" when ever I got into that particular stand

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
run in barns and woodsheds in the middle of the woods count as dwelling as well. MY buddy had a run in with a landowner a few years ago, he was hunting on a 50 acre piece and in the corner was a good spot, the guy from the property next to him put up a fake wood shed and put 2 logs in it then posted safety zone 450' around it.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
the property next to him put up a fake wood shed and put 2 logs in it then posted safety zone 450' around it.
That would NOT hold up.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I agree that would not hold up.

Let him make the complaint and then warn him NJ has upheld the Hunter Harrassment law.

I've had to play that card with a landowner. Haven't heard from him since....

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
i had a run in with a game warden 2 years ago. He pulled down the driveway at my spot , him and his partner came into the woods. They asked me to climb down from my stand. Then one of them climbed about halfway up the tree till he could see the neighbors barn. Before he could whip out his range finder I said " 161 yards " he got 164 yards. They left and when back in my tree i could see them by the neighbors house, talking to the old guy. Never heard another word since

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Nice story John![up]

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I carry an 8 iron. If I can hit the house I move back and hit another until I'm good.
Im not sure but Tiger Woods might not be able to hunt in the Garden State using your method. (Than again when you can just go buy Montana from Ted Turner who would want to.)

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
yup i hunt a spot where the property line is 20 yrds away and i only have 40 yrds total
OK, but can you guarrantee that if you shoot a deer it will drop before running the 20yds. onto the Private property ?

I know I can't predict which direction an arrowed deer will run, or HOW FAR they will go before they drop.
My experience is they will run where they think they are safe, which just could be onto the "PRIVATE PROPERTY". So what do you do then ?
Tresspass to recover the Deer ?
Yea, you could with the 150' rule hunt closer to the houses, but more deer could be dying in peoples back yards causing NEGATIVE Homeowner/Hunter interactions...

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
from the dwelling but like night stalker said deer can run anywhere when hit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.