New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up some .45 ACP self defense ammo since I just moved (The neighborhood has had a few break-ins).

I am also planning to take a handgun safety/self defense course and am sure I will get input from there but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Corbon loads are very good for self defense.
I would love to use them, but they seem to occasionally jam in my 45.
I have been using Hornady 230gr xtp, non+p with great results. I do not think there is a more accurate hp out there, and the profile of the bullet helps in loading.
Winchester's new line of pdx ammo looks promising as well. I try to stay away from "wide-mouth" type ammo such as Golden Saber, Gold Dot, Corbon, etc in my 1911. I've tried a few of them, and do get the occasional ftf. I would say 1 out of 100, but that is still too much.
I will use them in my glock, but that gun eats just about anything.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Powerball rounds are great. The are essentially hollow points but have a polymer tip that makes it resemble a round nose. Hollow points wont cycle some guns because they have feed problems (it really depends on the gun so dont bother asking if your gun would be ok). Ive never heard of a gun Powerball cant cycle though.

For training check out ShootNJ.com. I teach for them and the PPIH class we run is exactly what you're looking for... we talk about lots of self/home defense topics, not just the shooting aspect of it. We advertise on this site btw.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I would try Winchester SXT,Corbond,Hornady XTP, or Remington golden saber to name a few.

I use Winchester 230 grain SXTs out of my HK (They are basically Black Talons without the cutting edges).

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Here's what I use in my PDW:

Speer Gold Dot® 230 gr. GDHP

Weapon is a H&K USP full-size .45 ACP
-no issues with misfeeds or other cycling problems in this gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.