New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past week and a half, I hunted hard with my nephew in some of the most beautiful and rugged pieces of Pennsylvania public state forest lands in the Lycoming/Sullivan county areas.

Although neither of us were able to find shooter bucks that presented a decent shot, I must say that we both had an awesome time trying. We both saw multiple different young bucks and does on every outing as well as turkeys and bears ... we just never managed to put ourselves into a position where we could get a clear shot at a mature one.

On the opening morning while climbing to our treestands in the dark, we heard multiple packs of coyotes howling down in the valley below the mountainside where we were hunting. I mentioned to my nephew that despite spending so much time in the wild, I never got a chance to harvest a coyote. However, just a few hours later, I proved myself wrong when I spotted a large one trotting along the bench below my treestand. I stopped him with a whistle at about 90 yards, and the trusty, old 30-06 that my Dad gave me for Christmas back when I was 13 removed his heart and lungs from his body without causing a tremendous amount of damage to its pelt and body.

This was my first ever coyote, and I was ecstatic to have gotten the opportunity to finally kill one. It turned out to be a 40.5 lbs. male; and it was in prime condition. He was truly a great-looking coyote. (I saw two more on the final Thursday of the season, but they were over 250 yards away running in the snow through the woods, so there was no chance for a shot.)

We may not have harvested any bucks, but my nephew and I enjoyed some awesome experiences in the woods together this season; even without a filled-out tag, I truthfully wouldn't trade the quality time that we spent together for a truckload of vacuum-sealed venison.

I hope that everyone else got the chance to get to create some lasting hunting memories with loved ones this season!

- Gr8ful

Attachments

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Nice job on the coyote. Congrats. That's beautiful country up there. My grandfather had a cabin just outside of Hillsgrove PA. I loved it up there as a kid. I have been looking for a piece of property and cabin up there but real estate has gone crazy since the fracking started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.