New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 3D printers are the wave of the future! Check out this article I found online while researching stocks and check it out. Bottom line I think I read already where people have well for lack of better words printed out a gun that works. So what can they do to stop people now? They gonna lock down the internet like China? Ban printer sales? I'm not into guns like a lot of you guys but I figured I would post this up.

Also not a bad stock to add to your portfolio imo it seems to want to take off... check it out Only up $2.79 as I type this out
Ticker DDD

So whose buying a printer from Staples?

DDD: Summary for 3D Systems Corporation Common S- Yahoo! Finance

3D Printed Guns Stir Up Governments, Shoot Air Into 3D Printing Bubble - Forbes

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the wave of the future... own the wave!
Forget about guns think about the stuff people will be making!

Now I just have to find out what companies are making and selling the material that allows people to make items. Cause those stocks are gonna go up as well... Someone is selling the raw material to use the printer. I watched a whole thing on tv recently on how 3d printers work and its really cool. Discovery channel

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
So 3D printers are the wave of the future! Check out this article I found online while researching stocks and check it out. Bottom line I think I read already where people have well for lack of better words printed out a gun that works. So what can they do to stop people now? They gonna lock down the internet like China? Ban printer sales? I'm not into guns like a lot of you guys but I figured I would post this up.

Also not a bad stock to add to your portfolio imo it seems to want to take off... check it out Only up $2.79 as I type this out
Ticker DDD

So whose buying a printer from Staples?

DDD: Summary for 3D Systems Corporation Common S- Yahoo! Finance

3D Printed Guns Stir Up Governments, Shoot Air Into 3D Printing Bubble - Forbes
The guns aren't reliable or durable. They use a hardened ABS plastic for a barrel-I think the longest they had one last was 11 shots before it exploded. The printer used to make the gun that is the subject of all of the news stories was $8000, so not exactly within reach of the average Joe. 3D printing is going to have to come a long way (ie: they're going to have to come up with 3D printers that can print metal parts) and then the cost will have to come down before this becomes mainstream. Not to mention the time, knowhow, and expense it takes to produce CAD plans for the printer to work off of. The same company has also produced AR compatible magazines of various capacities which seems like a better use of the technology for now. In the meantime anti-gunners are going into hysterics about undetectable firearms. It's bad PR IMHO. I think Ares Arms has the right idea with their "Machine-your-own-AR-15" kits. The guns Defense Distributed is producing are just glorified toys.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are making items out of metal, you name it and pretty much they can make it. I didnt say anything about them being reliable or durable I said they can make them. And $8k is not a lot of money to a lot of people. So its not out of reach or light years away. Glorified toys or not if someone owns an expensive printer and are into guns they might say hey let me try and make one for the fun of it. I think the TV program I watched in the past few days was on the history or discovery channel maybe Hows It Made. But they made an intricate custom metal door handle for a house. It can be done... YES with Metal

Not saying the article is perfect or accurate but it gives you the basic idea.

Per the article above:
At least in theory printing a rudimentary gun seems easy, one that any good engineer should be able to accomplish with relative ease. However, availability of a blueprint online will make it simple for those without expertise to print a gun.
Buying a printer and supplies is not difficult either. Staples, the ubiquitous office supply chain, announced that it will carry a 3D printer. Staples’ initial supplier is 3D Systems DDD +7% and Staples is starting out by carrying 3D System’s Cube 3D printer. This printer is priced at $1,299. It appears on the surface that printing a gun with this printer will be difficult, but it is a matter of time before technology gets better and makes it possible for gun printing on a $1,000 printer. Defense Distributed used a 3D printer costing $8,000 bought on eBay.
Irrespective of which side of the gun debate you are on, there is no denying that there is a dark side to being able to buy the printer and supplies to make a gun from Staples or eBay.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
They use a hardened ABS plastic for a barrel-I think the longest they had one last was 11 shots before it exploded. The printer used to make the gun that is the subject of all of the news stories was $8000, so not exactly within reach of the average Joe. 3D printing is going to have to come a long way (ie: they're going to have to come up with 3D printers that can print metal parts) and then the cost will have to come down before this becomes mainstream. Not to mention the time, knowhow, and expense it takes to produce CAD plans for the printer to work off of. The same company has also produced AR compatible magazines of various capacities which seems like a better use of the technology for now. In the meantime anti-gunners are going into hysterics about undetectable firearms. It's bad PR IMHO. I think Ares Arms has the right idea with their "Machine-your-own-AR-15" kits. The guns Defense Distributed is producing are just glorified toys.
They only have to fire one time! I remember when computers were to expensive to ever be considered for home use. When cell calls cost $1 a minute, and vcr's were only affordable by big businesses.

Reactions: jms88

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
They are making items out of metal, you name it and pretty much they can make it. I didnt say anything about them being reliable or durable I said they can make them.
Sure, they're making stuff out of powdered metal. The stuff you can easily print a decorative door handle out of is not the same as the steel used in a gun barrel that can fire thousands of rounds over it's lifetime. There is a reason that since the invention of the firearm itself that the only materials used for barrels have been metal. The point is that all this guy is doing with his self promotion is prompting the powers that be to regulate 3D printers, the materials used for printing, and encouraging the ATF to pursue more regulations as well. He makes the point in a documentary about his company that all the ATF regulates is the lower receiver and that you can get all of the other parts online. Guess what they'll be looking to regulate next? All in response to the production that guns that are (at least right now) barely functional. When they can print an ENTIRE AR-15 from scratch I'll be excited. Til then...

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks I'm a much more powerful person than I thought I was...
If they (one of the 3d printer co's) or someone intelligent with money wanted to print a gun from scratch I am pretty confident that they can. They probably would keep it to themselves... No ones going to say hey I just printed out 5 guns today bring them to a public range and brag about it, just like they wouldnt say Hey I just printed out 100 fake $100 bills.

Would it be the cheapest route in obtaining/making a gun not at this point but like stated above VCR's and CD players were not exactly cheap when they came out either. Bottom line is it can be done if someone really wanted to put forth the effort. I'm sure this is not the main focus of the 3d printing companies. But will we be hearing about this in the future, yes we certainly will be.

The take away on this is they can regulate guns all they want and add new laws. But it sounds like there will be means for the above avg joe to make them if wanted. So all the rules and regulations on purchasing a gun one could say went out the window. Because how would you know if your neighbor is making them or not in the comfort of his own home?

Who would have seen this coming 10 years ago? I never even heard of 3d printing until a few months ago by stumbling into it online.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
The take away on this is they can regulate guns all they want and add new laws. But it sounds like there will be means for the above avg joe to make them if wanted. So all the rules and regulations on purchasing a gun one could say went out the window. Because how would you know if your neighbor is making them or not in the comfort of his own home?
If 3D printing of guns takes off like you think it will you better figure out a way to print ammo too [rofl]

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
More than decorations

Sure, they're making stuff out of powdered metal. The stuff you can easily print a decorative door handle out of is not the same as the steel used in a gun barrel that can fire thousands of rounds over it's lifetime. There is a reason that since the invention of the firearm itself that the only materials used for barrels have been metal. The point is that all this guy is doing with his self promotion is prompting the powers that be to regulate 3D printers, the materials used for printing, and encouraging the ATF to pursue more regulations as well. He makes the point in a documentary about his company that all the ATF regulates is the lower receiver and that you can get all of the other parts online. Guess what they'll be looking to regulate next? All in response to the production that guns that are (at least right now) barely functional. When they can print an ENTIRE AR-15 from scratch I'll be excited. Til then...

The parts being made now via selective lazar sintering (The metallic version of 3D printing) are more robust than you may think.
BMW is making err printing special assembly tools via that method and biomedical implants are now beyond the testing phase (Hips, knees, spine) I’m sure anyone with a Million bucks could print any frame they wanted some of the manufacturers of these machines are beginning to become a bit paranoid because as with most new tech. some laws may not be catching up or at the least questions tend to pop up.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
The parts being made now via selective lazar sintering (The metallic version of 3D printing) are more robust than you may think.
BMW is making err printing special assembly tools via that method and biomedical implants are now beyond the testing phase (Hips, knees, spine) I’m sure anyone with a Million bucks could print any frame they wanted some of the manufacturers of these machines are beginning to become a bit paranoid because as with most new tech. some laws may not be catching up or at the least questions tend to pop up.
Well coming from Jakesbeard (I know he knows a lot about this stuff) that makes me a lot less skeptical.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Printing

"Not to mention the time, knowhow, and expense it takes to produce CAD plans for the printer to work off of."

The person with the 3D printer doesn't need to be a CAD wiz they just need to introduce a file (STL to be exact) into their printer and than clean & detail the finnished part.
You don't need to play an instrument to get music from an iPod do you?

In fact people will sell the file / design and have nothing else to do with what gets made.
files are currently sold, traded even shared NOW, buy a 3D model from a site or individual convert it to an STL and print to your harts content infact thats what the guy in the video is doing with gun part files.
check this out www.turbosquid.com

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
"Not to mention the time, knowhow, and expense it takes to produce CAD plans for the printer to work off of."

The person with the 3D printer doesn't need to be a CAD wiz they just need to introduce a file (STL to be exact) into their printer and than clean & detail the finnished part.
You don't need to play an instrument to get music from an iPod do you?

In fact people will sell the file / design and have nothing else to do with what gets made.
files are currently sold, traded even shared NOW, buy a 3D model from a site or individual convert it to an STL and print to your harts content infact thats what the guy in the video is doing with gun part files.
check this out www.turbosquid.com
\\

True, once the plans are made and perfected. In the documentary on Defense Distributed they talked about the fact that they started with CAD plans that would be used to CNC machine an AR-15 lower from steel or aluminum. When the lowers were printed from ABS plastic from those exact plans they failed on the first round because they were designed with much stronger materials in mind. They are getting better, but I think it's moving a little slower than some people believe given the hype around the issue. All I know is Chuck Schumer has already introduced a bill banning the 3D printing of firearms :rolleyes1:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Great thread. To me, this is more than just about the technology -- there are some serious sociopolitical ramifications. Here's what the founder of Defense Distributed had to say in the Forbes article (that I'm sure scared the hell out of many politicians, eg Chuck Schumer).

“This is about enabling individuals to create their own sovereign space…The government will increasingly be on the sidelines, saying ‘hey, wait,’” says (Cody) Wilson. “It’s about creating the new order in the crumbling shell of the old order.”

“I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people. That’s what it is: It’s a gun,” he says. “But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there. I think that liberty in the end is a better interest.”

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Great thread. To me, this is more than just about the technology -- there are some serious sociopolitical ramifications. Here's what the founder of Defense Distributed had to say in the Forbes article (that I'm sure scared the hell out of many politicians, eg Chuck Schumer).

“This is about enabling individuals to create their own sovereign space…The government will increasingly be on the sidelines, saying ‘hey, wait,’” says (Cody) Wilson. “It’s about creating the new order in the crumbling shell of the old order.”

“I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people. That’s what it is: It’s a gun,” he says. “But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there. I think that liberty in the end is a better interest.”

I take great hart in the future KNOWING that despite the very best efforts of the many far left professors ensconced in our university systems that there are far more "Cody Wilsons" marching along to the beat of a drummer who plays tunes that Cody alone hears but Thomas Jefferson would also hear and enjoy than those lefty professors can imagine.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I take great hart in the future KNOWING that despite the very best efforts of the many far left professors ensconced in our university systems that there are far more "Cody Wilsons" marching along to the beat of a drummer who plays tunes that Cody alone hears but Thomas Jefferson would also hear and enjoy than those lefty professors can imagine.
I've read about this guy's politics and they're pretty strange:

MAKE | The Face of Printable Firearms: A Conversation with Cody Wilson

Well, see I don’t really accept the right/left distinction, but yeah. I came to the Liberty Movement through post-Marxist thought and French social theory, but though I share a lot with the right-leaning individuals, the anarchists, I consider myself more of a leftist, but only in the kind of discouraged sense of that word.
He seems more along the lines of those hackers, Anonymous-he rails against business as much as he does government and thinks Julian Assange is a hero [spy] In other words, he's got a lot in common with those far left professors, but some with Thomas Jefferson too. He doesn't believe in intellectual property, in other words, everything should be open source, no trade secrets, etc... The power to make anything should be in the hands of anyone. If there's one thing this guy is not, it's a Capitalist.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts