New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow...Just wondering how many guys feel the same as I do. To me after so many years of hunting it doesn't matter if I connect during deer season or not. I have simply grown tired of routine, hunting the same properties and knowing what to expect year after year. I mostly enjoy the aspect of looking for new spots and trying to figure deer movement and location, almost like starting all over, I guess I'm just growing restless. Hunting has also become more of a social event for me as well, where I use to hunt solo, I now look forward to hunting with others.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I still get jazzed when I take one. Now it is more about teaching and spending time with my 11yo. The only 1 of the 4 that has an interest in hunting and shooting. I took 2 or 3 years off when I moved to SC from NH and the fam stayed behind to sell the house. Found I am just not into it like I used to be. I truly just enjoy being out in the woods without all of lifes distractions to unwind. I do really miss the social aspect, and the folks I hunted with over the years in NH. It was all of the ball busting and the stupid little things that happen in the woods, you laugh about for years and the hanging out by the back of the truck after a whole day hunt.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
where I use to hunt solo, I now look forward to hunting with others.
I believe that is coming full circle [up][up][up], and it allows you to see it all through Fresh eyes again .

I know the deer that all the younger kids get mean way more to me now.

funny your time frame of 38 years is the same as mine, harvested my first deer in 1974 with each of the weapons I hunted with . Bow being first (NJ), then rifle (PA 30/30) and shotgun(NJ) being last.

·
Registered
678 Posts
at 67 i still enjoy going,but its not about the kill.how big the deer is ,how many points,etc.its more about just being out there.when i was young it was putting something on the wall,now its just put 1 or 2 in the freezer.besides u cant eat the horns.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Wow...Just wondering how many guys feel the same as I do. To me after so many years of hunting it doesn't matter if I connect during deer season or not. I have simply grown tired of routine, hunting the same properties and knowing what to expect year after year. I mostly enjoy the aspect of looking for new spots and trying to figure deer movement and location, almost like starting all over, I guess I'm just growing restless. Hunting has also become more of a social event for me as well, where I use to hunt solo, I now look forward to hunting with others.
[up]
When i was young I always thought the hunt was measured by harvest numbers. Boy was I wrong! I get it now....

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Hunting has also become more of a social event for me as well, where I use to hunt solo, I now look forward to hunting with others
totally agree. i barely hunt solo anymore. almost never i would say. just like the deerathons. i rather sit on stand then drive. i'm not a big lover of drives but it seems i do more drives after 6-day then sitting. everyone gets together, joking around, etc. it makes a better outting for me.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Same here started with bow & shotgun in 1974. NY rifle in 79, purchased land, sold land last year. Now selling the rifles that were used up there.
All the old buddies are gone, passed or just gave up hunting. Its come down to either bow hunt or follow the pointer when not bow hunting. Kind of happy, didn't really like the NJ deer gun thing.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
After 38 years of hunting I find I enjoy the spots I've hunted since a boy the most. I know the deer patterns, I know where they'll be, where they'll go and the best locations. The thought of hitting new property is exciting but the comfort of the old stomping grounds and looking over the same land as my Dad and other relatives have done for generations is rewarding.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I love hunting solo... It's my "me" time. I don't care if I get anything. Just like being out. I also like hunting in "small" groups. 4 to 6 people tops all with the same ethics on hunting that I have.

This year though my main goal is to enjoy a safe season and get my 10 year old son his first deer.[up]

·
Registered
453 Posts
It was never about horns for me, I've never even shot a buck (yet!) only doe's. Can't wait to get back into it after 7 years...I'm looking forward to my 2 daughters will be with us this year

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I always want one or two for the freezer. But almost being knocked out of your stand before dawn by an owl scarring the hell out of you, watching a hawk grab breakfast, or a fox walk up to you feet,even a little bird land on your barrel or your stand and give you a smirk. That's what it's about. You can't get that from a puter screen or even your back yard. 7 months to go.[up]

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
i have been hunting for 36 yrs now. did bow, shotgun, and muzzle. i have hunted with family and friends and those were the one of the best times in my life. now it's just me left and i occasionly hunt with my oldest brother. all i do now is shotgun and muzzle loader. i agree its not about the kill, but about the outdoor experience. my favorite hobbie now is riding my dual sport motorcycle in the woods. it make me feel young again .

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
But almost being knocked out of your stand before dawn by an owl scarring the hell out of you, watching a hawk grab breakfast
FOR SURE[up]

I have been wearing a balaclava for as long as I can remember , cant even count how many red tails I have had zoom in on my eyes to see them attached to something WAY bigger than a squirrel.always wondered what went through their mind as I moved .

had a red tail explode a bluejay a few years ago , stand height about 6 feet in front of me, just a puff of feathers and it was on the ground.
watched as he ate the bluejay right at the bottom of the stand.

there is always something to see out there on GODS Tv

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Just completed my 50th year of hunting and I would say I am in the final "Sportsman's stage" of hunting. Don't give a good shit if I connect or not, just out there to enjoy everything there is and marvel at the sights and sounds of Mother Nature.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
there is always something to see out there on GODS Tv
yes there is....I just completed my 40th year of hunting.....have been fortunate enough to be eye-to-eye with a redtail hawk.....watched turkeys come down off the roost....seen some cool stuff that most people will never get a chance to....made some good friends along the way.....to me, nothing beats watching the woods 'wake up' in the morning.....

I take one deer a year for the freezer.....everything else that I get to experience is just icing on the cake.....

might even take up traditional archery in my old age

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hunting a lone sucks for me. ill still go if thats my only option but sharing all the cool things you see out there with your buddies or laughing at the dumb stuff that happens like someone falling on their ass (usually me haha) or someone missing a chip shot and breaking balls makes it so much better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.