New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
If you have the means to keep it and can afford to run it, yes you should kick yourself. LOL That's a nice boat!! [up]

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea.... now its $ 1,200 from the marina. I am sure they want to recoupe their costs from getting it out of the lagoon.... [confusedagain]

What sucks is that it was not even the fact that it mentions that both engines need to be rebuilt that turned me away.... it was the cost to store a boat of this size in a marina and what I was quoted get it to a marina also. [eyeroll]

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yeah that's a steal man. If you can still get it you should.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure but it looks like the guy is still trying to sell it bet you could still get it for next to nothing. Lots of work needed and lots of money to run and store or dock at a marina. I just do the party boat thing these days. Nothing like having your own boat though. It's a huge commitment so don't be too upset

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
no way!!! i wouldnt buy it or take it for free!!!I had a 23 footer and it was a HUGE money pit. plus the marina costs. when I took that boat out for bluefish or stripers which was every weekend, it was 200.00 bucks a clip. by the time i got bait, food, fuel in the boat and the truck and ramp fee it was 200 bucks, i couldnt imagine what that would cost plus if that thing breaks, for get about it!!ur better off saving up and buying a newer boat with 4 stroke OUTBOARDS. that I/O crap sucks. trust me u made the right move. thats a old boat and I wouldnt go more than 500 yards off shore with it anyway

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Money pit! You were a very wise man!

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Know the cost of boating, you'll find out now that you have one.

Just how much do you think you'd have to fix on her to sea worthy her and what's the wet storage cost of dockage then winter storage either wet or dry after she's hauled then calculate the rest of the hole in the water you'd flush dowen its head?

People just don't think of things like this and they should because it's all part of it.

When you buy any boat the price you pay is usally the cheapest part then comes the upkeep of her and if your not mechanically inclined you need deep pockets.:p

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
your better off with the 21' and under outboard powered boats for bay fishing.

there are a lot of boats down along the delaware bay that are in winter storage, that the owners just walked away from. those big, slow, fuel sucking boats aren't the working mans boat anymore.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Stay away...far away. Not only is it a money pit to maintain and store, Jerseys came with Fiberglass Fuel tanks molded into the hull which the ethanol fuel eats thru. My good friend has one and it has been dry docked for 2 years while he replaces the tanks.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
I have a nice Bay boat, just afraid to take her in the ocean...
why would you be afraid to go in the ocean ,learn to run a boat and you will be ok .it is not much differant out there and most times the idiots stay in the bay so you are safer outside

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
i agree.
the ocean has swells that you can time with the right rpm.
the bay if it's like the delaware bay is chop. chop that comes from two directions and can't be timed.
you will have a smoother ride "outside" many times.

stay in the back the first year. learn the boat and what it can and can't do. then keep it within 15 miles, or clear day sight of land.
learn you gps, learn compass bearing, trust the compass.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Break
Out
Another
Thousand.

Had a boat, but felt committed to using it every weekend, or wasn't getting my moneys worth. Everybody wants to visit, nobody wants to help. People would bring food and beer,sometimes.. Friends would come down, but have to be back in at a certain time..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts