New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think about the 3 point rule? in my opinion...it should be implemented statewide

·
11,226 Posts
Here is where we differ! I don't like the 3 point rule! If you don't want to shoot a spike or fork then don't. I on the other hand like spikes and forks! I like any and all antlers. I'm not into hunting for a trophy. Thats just not what deer hunting is to me. I hope my kids stay away from the trophy mentality as well. Thats just not what hunting should be about. When I was in the clubs I was in most of the complaining came from the guy's who wanted trophies! They were angry and upset all the time. They hunted under pressure. Always in a bad mood if they didn't get the kill. Hunting alone alot when they had the chance to hunt with the group and be a part of a fun day. The guy's who didn't trophy hunt and took what ever buck they wanted always seemed happier and more relaxed. They were more easy going and enjoyed the hunt for what it was worth and not for what they had to brag about! Thats how I was taught to hunt and I like it that way! I hope my kids are the same way! I went 13 years without killing a buck and during those years I had some of the best hunts with friends and family! I have a lot of memories that bring a smile to my face and not one of them is me standing over a trophy buck! I've only killed 2 bucks that were 3 points or under (not counting buttons) but thats just luck not AR's. I am just as happy for a spike as I am a monster 10 point! Taking a doe for the freezer puts a smile on my face too! You hunt your way and I'll hunt mine!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thats the problem with the seasons that are open until the middle of Feb. Whats the point of having a antler restriction if you p [no swearing please] a spike or a forkhorn up in Oct. and he gets killed as a shed buck later on in the season. As it gets late in the season you really need to be carefull at what your shooting.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i shoot any buck i see. i cant control myself sometimes but i would like to see the rule take effect in zone 11. also that unlimited doe bullshit! thats a load of crap, i can shoot probably 15 does a year on heavily hunted zones if i wanted to, and if i did there would be very little deer left in the upcomming years. the thing is there are people out there who just shoot and shoot and shoot and dont think about next years heard. its sad that hunting in most parts of NJ will come to an end very soon..especially due to the hundreds of houses (mansions) built each year. its upsetting, im gonna go cry myself to sleep now :(

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Here is the future of NJ hunting:

Area 1 - Millions of deer, big houses, no hunting allowed, no discharge rule.

Area 2 - Open to hunting, but hardly any deer.

What does the state do? Unlimited doe in Area 2... thinking that will help get rid of deer in adjacent Area 1.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I would like to see the 3 point rule statewide as well. [up]

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I like it. It will help get bigger bucks, and the BB's will be left alone so they can get some kinda rack. I feel if you shot all the young bucks then you will be killing off the herd. No males, No Fawns, and we all know what that means.... NO DEER HERD TO HUNT.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts