New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Are you sure it didn't get hit by a car and lose his foot? Or maybe it got stuck in something and the bear chewed it off? Maybe it was "injured by a snare set by Fish and Wildlife".[eyeroll]

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
Or, maybe it was actually just born that way [confusedagain]

Seems odd to assume it was maimed by a hunter just because it's missing a paw [spy]

·
Registered
192 Posts
If he was born that way you would hardly notice anything wrong as he walked! They are tuff like the whitetails though he will be fine I have heard of a few bears that were harvested with old leg injuries.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Our club is on Sparta Mountain so will keep an eye out with cameras, but he/she hasn't been seen on our property. Cars are the most likely culprit. That or the 600 lb + monster chasing the others away that we didn't see during 6 Day.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
while deer hunting in sparta mt. I saw a 3 legged bear. he was having a tough time walking. some shot off his front left foot, just a stump left. poor guy.
Not necessarily shot off. I hit one with my truck once. Her was running full tilt across Green Pond Road. When I pulled over the first thing I did was look for damage to my truck.....There was none inspite of the noticable thud when my front bumper made contact with him. There was just a small amount of blood and hair. Since he was in full stride I belive my bumper made contact with his back foot. It was probably damaged to the point where it atrophied becoming usless.

Also I once shot a 3 legged deer with my bow. It was a doe fawn. Normally I wouldn't shoot such a deer, but as I said it only had 3 good legs so I was putting it out of its' misery. When I recovered it one of the back legs was completly atrophied. It was gross....It looked like it had polio or something. What probably happened is it was in a non fatal car collision severly damaging its' hind leg so it hobbled around all summer. I don't think it would have survived the winter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.