New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week the MD discovered 3 blockages. My dumb luck, they were all in "awkward" spots. The first one took the whole 90 minutes max time you can be exposed to the dye and flouroscope.

I went back to Morristown Memorial yesterday, checked in at 6:30 AM, and was in the cath lab by 9 to finish it up. It took about an hour; it is actually pretty interesting, since you're on sedatives, you're fading in and out, but you can see the pictures and realize thats YOUR heart! [eek]

Anyhow, at noon I was in my room (they're all private, free phone and TV). After a nap I got a sandwich. At 6 I got a full dinner, sitting up. I made a point of staying up until 12:30 AM because that was when I was allowed out of bed on my own.

I drove myself home about 12:30 today.

Angioplasty is a MIRACLE! [up]

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
thats great! [up][up]

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Awesome! Great news

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
That kind of news is always good to hear.
[up][up]

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
[up]Good to hear bud [up]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Glad it all worked out! [up]

·
Registered
15,697 Posts
Glad to hear you caught them[up]If you dont mind me asking what procedure did you have done to find out? and did you have some pain in the chest?. I lost a brother inlaw who was an Mendham Boro police officer a few months ago, one would never know he had blockages.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NO PROBLEM telling you or anyone else:

1) High cholesterol runs in my family. My dad died at 41. I was 5, my brother was 15 months. (!) Two pack a day man, (WW II vet, if the Japs crashed a plane full of explosives on the ship you were on, you'd smoke too!) plus cholesterol = heart attack!

2) Given that, I have had blood tests for cholesterol since my late 20's when they knew what "cholesterol" was.

3) I had my first chest pain at 38 (1993). Talk about deja vu: I was married, we had 2 kids not in school yet. My old man, Part II.

4) I did a "nuclear stress test" (walk on the treadmill, wired for an EKG, and they inject an isotope dye through an IV, then can scan on a big machine while you lie down.) Resting, no problem. Exerting, not sufficient blood flow. Now they can tell what area of the heart but not exactly where the problem is. (Front, back, etc.)

5) In the hospital you go in for a "left heart cathether." They numb you up, give you a sedative, and and snake a tube through a valve insterted in the femoral artery in your groin [eek] while you are on a fluroscope table. (X rays).

6) From the X rays they see the blockage(s) and you can too, if you're awake (you fade in and out). These days they spot, and fix, the blockages, in 1 procedure.

7) Through the same "valve" they installed in your groin, they insert another tube. This one has a balloon on it that presses the blockage and opens it. After that they put in a 3rd tube, which is a balloon with a small wire cage on it. They blow up the balloon, the cage opens up, and holds the artery open.

8) Your heart gets enough blood, you feel better, you go home.

9) The indignation of having 20 + people check your shaved groin to be sure you don't have an arterial leak goes away quickly. [lol] Begin able to walk a mile or two the next day makes up for it! [up]

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh...first guy who makes a joke about the 53 year old guy with the pot belly and the "landing strip"....we're gonna go outside and TALK!!![mad]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.