New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out Military.com for details. It's part of Obama's economic recovery plan for Veterans.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Check out Military.com for details. It's part of Obama's economic recovery plan for Veterans.
How about a real GI bill again enabling those that have risked all to get a paid for ride to any college that they can qualify for academically?

Historically, the WWI and Korean War GI bill funding was what took a lot of blue collar kids into the Ivy League and top tier schools - that's real economic stimulus.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
How about a real GI bill again enabling those that have risked all to get a paid for ride to any college that they can qualify for academically?
I don't know about the WWII or Korean war GI bill. I can tell you that the Veitnam era GI bill was not a free ride. When I want to college on it I got $200 per month living expenses and that was it.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
DAMN RIGHT!!![up]

I can't believe how the kids in the armed forces today get hosed.

I would NEVER have been able to finish grad school without the GI Bill, and I have a guy working for me who left the service with a family and would never have gotten his BS without the GI Bill.

Of all the STUPID things Jimmy Carter did (and you could fill a library with books about him!) screwing up the GI bill was one of the worst! [mad]

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I don't know about the WWII or Korean war GI bill. I can tell you that the Veitnam era GI bill was not a free ride. When I want to college on it I got $200 per month living expenses and that was it.
When I was in grad school (1983-85) I had a classmate who got commissioned in 1977 after the Naval Academy. He had the deal where he got about $350-400 a month, and didn't have to pay in.

I had the Carter deal where I had to pay in $75 a month (NO small deal when you're making $7850 a year!) and you got back $225 (3 for 1) while in college.

It sounds like they kept screwing with a good thing. Government in action! [spy]

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Oops, I just noticed a bad typo in my original post to this thread.

WWI above should have been WWII - sorry.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Its no secret that Im not a big fan of govt spending. But we should never EVER skimp on benefits for our veterans. Esp. those who volunteer to serve our country. [up]

We can hand over billions of dollars to the banks and the poorly run auto industry, but Vets get $250 as a stimulus? What a phucking joke. [down]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Has anyone received their stimulus package?
I got mine yesterday..and I whole heartedly agreee that veterans, ecspecialy combat vets/wounded vets get screwed big time..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts