New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me two and a half hours to coax this gobbler into gun range. He was accompanied by three hens and a Jake. I resorted to just about every trick I know to get him to commit.First I tried to heat him up, But he would only gobble back about every third or fourth call. The hens would only talk back occasionly and didn't seem like they were interested in any 'new comers' in the neighborhood. The silent treatment didn't bring any results, either !I would call then move farther away ,but he didn't care if I was leaving or not...He had his Ladies by his side.
So I finally crept closer. set up, called and he answered. I moved closer, called...He answered....
I repeated till I got to the edge of the field and couldn't go any closer. Thats when I got my first good look at him... WTF???!!! I said to myself!!
As I was glassing him as he strutted for his harem I heard a soft yelp over my right shoulder. I froze, It was one of the hens that most have decided to come look for 'the hen'. I moved VERY slowly to get the glasses back down and my hands on the gun.
Thats when I noticed the flock was headed my way.
The hen that was behind me started to yelp as she walked away. I clucked softly and she would yelp back everytime.And it brought the Gobbler right into gun range.
I'm not sure what the chicks saw in this dude...They must like the Bad Boy Look.![rofl]

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
You have enough material to write several books. You are the MAN!. I'm getting you a camo cape with a big GG on it!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I was thinking that he looked like he's been shot at quite a few times, but whoever must have aimed at his tail while he was strutting [hihi]

Congratulations Mike [up]

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Nice Job Mike! I saw you work your magic yesterday but I know that this bird would not respond to us when we saw him together. I figured that you would try him again today and probably get him for sure because you did not have a cameraman with you! You simply amaze me with you turkey calling ability. Having seen you in action I know you EARN every bird you take! OK so I will let this bird redeem your miss from yesterday. By the way, I am gland you just put a blindfold on me rather than throw me in the trunk. Congrats to you once again GG! "You da Man"
[up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up][up]:D

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
[up][up] amazing..how many is that on the year GG

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Once again, congrats GG on another fine bird and a tough one at that[up][up]

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
nice going[up][smoke][up]

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Good going.[up][up]I had a simular situation this morning with a very different out come.18yard miss,put an arrow through my blind

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I worked a bird for 1 1/2 hours this morning and he wouldn't budge, though he kept answering me. Finally, he and another in the distance just went silent and wouldn't answer anything, not even the real crows. I thought I might have gotten busted and didn't know it. Of course, at 12:10 pm I'm walking along the edge of a cornfield back to the car and I spook two of 'em back into the woods.[eyeroll] Anyhow, good for you GG! BTW, got real warm where I was in Sussex Co.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What do you think happened to his tail feathers?
??? ...I don't know..Prehaps he had a close call with a Coyote or other predator or maybe he was shot at earlier in the season. The fact that they are wet doesn't make them look pretty either

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I'm not sure what the chicks saw in this dude...They must like the Bad Boy Look.!
That is funny stuff.. Congrats on another bird or what ever that thing your holding is[rofl][rofl]

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I'm getting you a camo cape with a big GG on it!

Yup I will throw in on that myself lol.I think I can say Everything I learned about hunting/trapping in NJ I learned from reading GG's posts.I really love his trapping stories and pics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts