New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great day Sat...met my buddy at 4:30, we were in the woods at 5:00. About 10 paces in I gave my gobble call a shake, and within a few seconds we had a gobble come back!! Really exciting, about 100yds away. We set up the decoys, took position, and my friend started calling him in, with a box call and mouth call. By 6:00 he never really got closer, he'd respond to every call though. Then it got pretty interesting. I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, about 100yds away. I couldn't make out what it was, I was under the impression it was a cat based on the way it was slinking through the woods. Finally I got a good look, it was a picture perfect red fox, stalking us!! My friend was clucking and yelping, and the fox was hunkering down, staring at us(couldn't see us though b/c of the camo), and then he'd sprint about 10yds, freeze, then low crawl a few feet. It looked exactly like a cat going after a mouse or bird. He came in from about 80yds away to within 20yds, then my friend slightly altered his mouth calling(told me later he went from a hen to an injured rabbit). When he changed the call the fox went nuts. He tensed, then leapt up and made a bee line for my friend. The fox was within 3-4yds, headed straight for my friend(to the fox, the source of the noise), in all out attack mode, at the last minute my friend jumped up and yelled STOP...the fox [email protected]#T his pants, did a 180deg turn in what seemed like mid-air, and took off. It was incredible, I was laughing my ass of. No question the camo worked, and my buddy's calling skills are pretty impressive. Needless to say, no more gobbles. I tried researching it online, is it fair to say that fox ran the birds off? The gobbles were coming from 10:00, and the fox came in from about 12:00. Also, the parcel we were hunting is sort of "L" shaped, we set up in the lower left corner of the property, and as we walked up the vertical piece of the "L" we saw tracks/scratched etc the whole way up...can you pattern turkey, similar to deer? I.e. next time should we set up halfway up the vertical part of the "L" as opposed to the lower left corner, where the turkeys definitely roost, to try and catch the mon the way through?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.