New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to a local farmer today, and was told that a dead deer on Rt 18 down here in the colts neck / howel area was an 18 pointer that got hit by a car. He had seen the deer a few times on a piece he farms, and saw the deer dead in the middle island while a guy was caping it out.

I have no idea if this is the same deer that was talked about on this site, but the odds of 2 big bucks like that from the same area???

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Wouldn't suprise me.

B

·
0 Posts
kah, you do have a good point. When I went to the taxidermist and saw the deer he told me what they guy said to him:

The guy was going hunting, and when he went to his spot it was still flooded from the heavy rains we got. So he went and hunted from his son's stand, he was on stand when the buck came, and he got it. He did say it was on public ground "BEAR SWAMP" is that near where the road kill was found? I'm not from that area, I'm from NNJ

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bear Swamp is a parcel across the street from Manasquan resevoir - The person could have been on his way to hunt there from rt 18 or on his way back and saw the buck that had just got hit.

Who knows - I don't want to be one to put down a buck a guy could have shot totally legit- but if he took it by Bear Swamp - he was within 5 miles as a crow fly's - and could have been right on his travel route.

If its that big - we will all see it soon enough

B

·
0 Posts
kah, did the farmer describe the rack to you? if he did let me know, I remember what it looked like....Besides me, brownstones, and GunnyFern saw it at the Taxidermist

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 bucks like that come from that general area. I used to live and hunt down there and you guys wouldn't belive the bucks I would see every year.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not get a description - and I agree with stealthy - there is a gene pool down here that is quite amazing. The borden buck that is the state typical record came from this area and was only 3 years old. High long tines are very common. If they can get to 4 years old they will push high 160"s - Unfortunatly allot of these deer are shot and not checked in as there are a ton of people who sneek in to properties with bow - Just to kill the big one. Its not just here- its all over NJ

·
Registered
876 Posts
Unfortunatly allot of these deer are shot and not checked in as there are a ton of people who sneek in to properties with bow - Just to kill the big one.
That's exactly right. There are many, many more P&Y bucks taken in this state that people are just not aware of, especially from that area, from what I've seen, guys typically check the deer in, but don't enter them neither in P&Y nor the State's deer classic to avoid scrutiny.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive held a net 159 1/8 typical 10 pointer that was shot with a muzzloader - 6 ot 7 muzzloader in the state that was not entered. I bet for everyone one that is entered there are 2-3 that are not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts