New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past couple of years I've been behaving, I haven't spent money foolishly, I've been frugal, and I've been saving. Well this past week I kinda fell off the wagon, and it feels so good!!

I just got back in from sighting in my Remington model 7 in .17 rem fireball. I bought it mainly for groundhogs at ranges out to 250yds but it could go further in the right hands. So far, with about 10rds through it, I can honestly say that this gun is one nasty "lil bastert".

The .17 fireball is advertised at 4000 fps which complements it tack driving capability nicely. I opted not to get the heavy barrel or get too much into the comp target side of it. With the scope, sling, and 3 rds of ammo I'm tipping the scales at just over 7 lbs, perfect for those afternoon walking trips around the farm.

Does anyone have any experience with the .17 Rem fireball. Any pointers or advice are greatly appreciated.

· Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. Not many shops in my area have heard of this round let alone stock the ammo. I picked up two boxes at Cheyenne Mtn outfitters which is an an hour drive from me. 20rds for 28.99. If anyone out there can suggest another place to buy shells I'd appreciate it.

· Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some great info, thanks all for the help!

i went varmint hunting today. i nailed 2 woodchucks, 1 at 160 and the other around 145 yards away. i'm shooting a .204 ruger which shoots about the same as the 17 fireball with a heavier bullet.
Very impressive shooting. That's cool that
your friend has a model 7 in .17 rem. I didnt think it was possible to get those distances with the model 7. I thought you needed heavy barrels and a lot more money to make it happen. Makes me even more confident in my gun choice.

cheaperthandirt has them for 95cents a round....keep an eye on www.ammoengine.com they will compare everything for you
Very good advice right there!! I wouldn't say cheaper than dirt but definitely cheaper than everyone else.:)

because ammo is so limited and expensive
I hear that!! I bit the bullet and bought a case from Cheaper Than Dirt. 381.00....God Bless America!!

maybe one day we could meet up i live 20 min east of cabelas 25 miles north of 78 up rt 100 to 309
Sounds good thanks for the offer! Next time I'm out your way I'll shoot you a PM.

· Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One thing I also noticed is that the barrel and the stock touch. I took a dollar bill and slid it down the between the stock and barrel and it stopped around 1 1/2" past the stock. Would it be wise to shave back the stock at the high spot so it is free floating?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.