New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past couple of years I've been behaving, I haven't spent money foolishly, I've been frugal, and I've been saving. Well this past week I kinda fell off the wagon, and it feels so good!!

I just got back in from sighting in my Remington model 7 in .17 rem fireball. I bought it mainly for groundhogs at ranges out to 250yds but it could go further in the right hands. So far, with about 10rds through it, I can honestly say that this gun is one nasty "lil bastert".

The .17 fireball is advertised at 4000 fps which complements it tack driving capability nicely. I opted not to get the heavy barrel or get too much into the comp target side of it. With the scope, sling, and 3 rds of ammo I'm tipping the scales at just over 7 lbs, perfect for those afternoon walking trips around the farm.

Does anyone have any experience with the .17 Rem fireball. Any pointers or advice are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. Not many shops in my area have heard of this round let alone stock the ammo. I picked up two boxes at Cheyenne Mtn outfitters which is an an hour drive from me. 20rds for 28.99. If anyone out there can suggest another place to buy shells I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
good luck with it:D[up]

i went varmint hunting today. i nailed 2 woodchucks, 1 at 160 and the other around 145 yards away. i'm shooting a .204 ruger which shoots about the same as the 17 fireball with a heavier bullet.

just make sure you get a good rifle cleaning kit.

the model 7 is a great "walking varmint rife". i have a friend that has a model 7 in .17 rem (not the fireball) and it's his favorite rifle. he's taken chucks over 350 yards with that thing. he does reload for it.

for fireball fans:

http://www.17remingtonfireball.com-a.googlepages.com/home

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
it is a wildcat round if I am not misstaken
The 17Mach4 was the wildcat and Rem changed it slightly and named it the 17 fireball (which the varminters call the 17 furball). It's a neat round but has limited ammo availability, and limited bullet selection for the handloader. I don't know why Rem brought it out considering the 17 Rem will beat it by 250fps, and has been around a while. I guess they didn't want to waste advertising funds on resurecting an old round like the 17 rem so they brought out a new 17. The other problem is finding good cleaning rods, jags, etc to fit the 17 bore. A co-worker bought one a couple months ago and now wants to sell it because ammo is so limited and expensive.

·
Registered
452 Posts
the 17 fb ammo can be had at cabelas. the 17 m 4 is a necked down 221 fireball this is a wildcat all the way you must reload. i just bought rem brass in 17 fb at cabelas to reload the m 4 and skip the annealing step in forming the 221 fireball brass. one thing is to use a bore guide and coated dewey rod when cleaning the bore. a good web site for 17 shooters to get gear from is the woodchuck den and bore guides is precision reloading and sinclair international. after shooting a 22-250 for forty years i went to the 221 fb,17 m 4,204 ruger and 22 hornet. the web site thats all over 17 cal is coyote gods. check it out. maybe one day we could meet up i live 20 min east of cabelas 25 miles north of 78 up rt 100 to 309

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
Go over to the predator Masters.com you can ask all you want it is a good site for our pred and varmit hunting.
Join The VHA (varmint hunters association). They have the best long range rifle shooting and reloading magazine I have ever read... You will learn more about taking that fireball to ranges way past 250yards then you ever though existed..
I have tons of experience with the 17 remington and love it. The fireball is supposed to be the round that fixes some of the problems with shooting mass amounts of ammo out of the 17 remington. Good Luck with your new toy!! [up]

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some great info, thanks all for the help!

i went varmint hunting today. i nailed 2 woodchucks, 1 at 160 and the other around 145 yards away. i'm shooting a .204 ruger which shoots about the same as the 17 fireball with a heavier bullet.
Very impressive shooting. That's cool that
your friend has a model 7 in .17 rem. I didnt think it was possible to get those distances with the model 7. I thought you needed heavy barrels and a lot more money to make it happen. Makes me even more confident in my gun choice.

cheaperthandirt has them for 95cents a round....keep an eye on www.ammoengine.com they will compare everything for you
Very good advice right there!! I wouldn't say cheaper than dirt but definitely cheaper than everyone else.:)

because ammo is so limited and expensive
I hear that!! I bit the bullet and bought a case from Cheaper Than Dirt. 381.00....God Bless America!!

maybe one day we could meet up i live 20 min east of cabelas 25 miles north of 78 up rt 100 to 309
Sounds good thanks for the offer! Next time I'm out your way I'll shoot you a PM.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
I didnt think it was possible to get those distances with the model 7. I thought you needed heavy barrels and a lot more money to make it happen. Makes me even more confident in my gun choice.
I have witnessed first hand and some shots from my own hands shots at 400 plus yards with 17 remingtons fired out of standard model 700 rifle and a 14" contender pistol with kills on prairie dogs in south dakota. It can be done. Does your new rifle have the new trigger??
I will check them out.
Best rifle / rifle reloading magazine ever produced hands down! Even if you are not a varmint shooter the homework these people submit is top notch and can be crossed over to any rifle discipline..

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One thing I also noticed is that the barrel and the stock touch. I took a dollar bill and slid it down the between the stock and barrel and it stopped around 1 1/2" past the stock. Would it be wise to shave back the stock at the high spot so it is free floating?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I own a .17 Rem in a Model 700. Put a 4.5 x 14 x 42 Burris Fullfield, great round, great rifle and great scope. You fireball should shoot the same, it is the gun I taught my son to shoot, because it makes a big "BANG" but does not kick, and it is a full size rifle. Good Luck, wouldn't want to be a Woodchuck in your area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.