New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The photos are of a guy who works for the Forest Service. He was out deer hunting. A large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. He unloaded his 7mm Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and capped it in the head. The bear was over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, and 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. Of course, the game department did not let him keep it. It will be mounted and put on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild. You would be level with the bear's belly button when he stood upright. When on all fours, he would look you in the eye. To give it additional perspective, consider that this bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof. The bear had killed at least two people. His last meal was the unlucky hiker in the third picture. The Forest Service found his 38-caliber pistol emptied. Although the hiker fired six shots, only four managed to hit the bear. (they ultimately found four 38-caliber slugs along with the seven 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body) The 38's only wounded him---and really pissed him off. The bear killed the hiker an estimated three days prior to the bear's own demise by the Forest Service worker.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'll be hunting those suckers on Kodiak next Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The paw on that thing is the size of our Bears here.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Ted is in the US airforce...not the Forest Service

No 7mm semi...it was a 338 Win Mag

The bear did not charge him....

All shots were from 10 yds...

The bear never killed anyone...

·
11,226 Posts
I heard that story was fake too.... I saw it on a couple different sites.... Never did see a real artical on it, just those pics + a pic of a leg left from the hiker and what people right about it. No real news artical....[confused]

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Truth:
Thanks to our readers, the truth about these pictures has been found. The facts are a little different from the original eRumor, but the pictures do record the results of a true hunt and are real.

The original pictures lacked the label linking them with hunting-pictures.com, but that is where the pictures reside. They were posted by a hunter who used the nickname Dalliwacker, on www.assaultweb.net, but who is, according to published articles, Jim Urban. He says that the bear was actually ten feet high and weighed between 1,000 and 1,200 pounds. He says the bear did not stand up then drop down and charge. It showed no aggression at all. He also says the bear was not shot on Hitchenbrook Island but, like all good hunters, he won't be specific about where he got it <smile>.

The version of the eRumor that claims the bear was a killer and was shot by a forest service employee are false

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I saw that BS story... Pictures of a guy with his leg all eaten up with the sneaker still on. Regardless of the story, the bear in the picture, is one helluva big bear!!!

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
The season was open....

Both Hunters had bear licences...

MOST IMPORTANTLY

The bear was taken legally and was not confiscated

The official Boone and Crocket score was 28 4/16, that would only rank it 150th as of the 11th edition of N.A Big Game records....

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It is still one helluva big bear... Head size is indicative of age. It is not a good barometer for body size!! Any bear that squares over 10' is pretty freakin' big!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I read the story in one of my hunting mags a few months ago. The hunter was hunting and he worked for Fish and Game in Alaska. I'll try to find the story in the mag again.

·
Registered
177 Posts
OK....I'm just adding to the confusion on this. Airman yes. F&W no! I couldn't find the article but I did find the real story!:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here is the real deal on this giant bear:
IMAGINE WALKING THROUGH THE WOODS AND COMING ACROSS A BEAR 12'6" TALL, 1600 LBS! This 17 foot, 3000 pound bear was killed in the living room of General Theodore Winnen, while he was snacking on Freetos and Corn pops. There was a 20 minute hand to paw combat fight that finished with the cobra clutch that brought the bear to his knees.[up]

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Man I've heard so many different stories about this bear.

The guy is actually a midget and the bear is only a 5 footer.:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts