New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 16 gauge or a 28 gauge or maybe even both. If anyone is selling them please let me know.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I am looking to add to my collection and have some different gauges so I figured I would try here first. Also if someone knows good places to find these i am in northern nj

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
go to yoj sports in andover. he'll order you what ever you want.

i bought a marlin l.c. smith 28 gauge sxs from them a few months ago. it was $400 cheaper than anyone else that had them.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Two of the best patterning gauges available. They both fall into the "square shot" theory. The height and width of the shot column are equal and is said to produce superior patterns.

Actually the ammo is not difficult to find the problem is, it's very expensive. If your planning to just hunt with some casual shooting then it shouldn't be a big issue. If you plan to use them regularly for trap or skeet you should invest in reloading equipment.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Have Remington 1100s in both gauges and sxs in 16. Love em all!

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Go with the 16, then, although it will be expensive to shoot

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I love 28 ga. Don't have any experience with the 16 it was obsolete before I was born [rofl]
I would love to have one of each of the biggies one day though. 10,12,16,20,28, and 410.. I have 3 of the 6 now.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I only have 12's, no reason for me to have anything else right now. I'd like to pick up a 20 to hand down to my son once he starts shooting. I wouldn't mind picking up a 10 either. My dad's friend used to deer hunt with one, that thing was a cannon.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I've got 4 16s, they are all I use for upland, trap and most of my sporting clays shooting.

Ammo is not hard to find at all and if you watch for sales it's not all that expensive either.

There are some good loads for target like the Rem RGLs and Win Game Loads.
You can get a number of 11/8 to 11/4 oz loads. Fiocchi Golden Pheasants are great rounds for bigger birds.

For my older Fox Sterly with short chambers I use the RST 2.5" shells. Great ammo at under $10 a box. It doesn't get out much but it is capable of shooting anything here in NJ or NE as far as upland.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
The 16 ga. is a great all-around gauge for upland and you can reap the most benefits from it if you reload your own. What you can't find in factory fodder you can reload yourself. With the right hulls you can load up to a 3 1/4 dram equivalent with 1 1/4 oz. of shot. And the cost to get yourself started and set up for reloading is not unreasonable (about $200 for a decent press).

A proper 16 ga. will be on a 16 ga. frame, which makes it better balanced and handle better than a 16 ga. barrel on a 12 ga. receiver adapted for the 16 ga. cartridge. For example; a Browning Sweet-Sixteen, a Win. M12, a Parker #1 1/2 frame or #1 frame in a 16 ga. are all trim and embody what the 16 ga. should be for they are built on 16 gauge frames. Browning 16 ga. Citori's if you can find them are built on a 16 ga. frame and the new BPS 16 ga. is built on a small frame. Equally, a 28 ga. is best and offers nice handling when it's built on a true 28 ga./.410 frame.

B&P, Gualandi and Pattern Control all make wads that can accomodate from 1/2 oz. to 1 oz. of shot for reloading in the 16 ga. if you want to shoot light or "square" loads that are nicely balanced in the 16 ga. I could be wrong but I think that Claybuster or someone else was making a duplicate of the old WWAA16 1 oz. wad as well. (Check the http://www.16ga.com Guntalk reloading blogs). Remington still makes their SP16 wad to accomodate 1 1/8 oz. to 1 1/4 oz. loads.

For upland use over pointing dogs, a 1 oz. load is more than sufficient in the 16 ga. Equally, the 3/4 oz. load in a 28 ga. is fine with smaller shot but I have seen some folks reloading as much as 7/8 oz. to 1 oz. in the 28 ga. these days which I think defeats the purpose of what a "light gun" is meant to be.

Actually, when it comes to "square" loads, the 12 ga. with 1 oz. is more "square" than a 16 ga. in a 1 oz. configuration.

Compare with a 1 oz. charge of shot: The 12's .729" BD x .690" CL vs. the 16's .662" BD x .837 CL shows the 12 ga. has the edge of "square" in this configuration. BD = bore diameter of the gauge while CL = column length occupied by 1 oz. of shot in the given bore diameter.

Maybe that's why those 12 ga. 2.5" shells with 1 oz. loads at nominal velocities pattern so effectively.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
The 16 ga. is a great all-around gauge for upland and you can reap the most benefits from it if you reload your own.
Without a doubt. I just haven't had the time to setup a system.

A proper 16 ga. will be on a 16 ga. frame,
True, even better on a 20ga frame such as the Merkel 1620 or early Sterlys.

For upland use over pointing dogs, a 1 oz. load is more than sufficient in the 16 ga
Very true. The RGLs or Fed GLs do most of all my work since I don't reload.
Good info on all the loads etc. [up]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts