Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
[eek]thats a big ol bubba. wonder what killed em

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
according to this...for a basking shark he was a bit small

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basking_shark

Normally the basking shark reaches a length of between 6 metres (20 ft) and a little over 8 metres (26 ft). Some specimens surpass 9 or even 10 metres (33 ft), but after years of hard fishing, specimens of this size have become exceedingly rare.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Normally the basking shark reaches a length of between 6 metres (20 ft) and a little over 8 metres (26 ft).[eek][eek]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
HOLY [email protected]#T!!!!! that thing is huge, i had no idea there were sharks that big nearby

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
The basking shark is a passive filter feeder, filtering zooplankton, small fish and invertebrates from up to 2,000 tons of water per hour.[3] Unlike the megamouth shark and whale shark, the basking shark does not appear to actively seek its quarry, but it does possess large olfactory bulbs that may guide it in the right direction. Unlike the other large filter feeders, it relies only on the water that is pushed through the gills by swimming; the megamouth shark and whale shark can suck or pump water through their gills.[3]

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Basking sharks aren't meat eaters right?
Of course they are, there arnt any carrots floating around in the ocean. They feed on plackton and other tiny invertebretes by filtering the water over their gills. Ive swam with these sharks and they are really cool[up] Shame to see that one wash up like that.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
[eek][eek] That's a big shark, even if he isn't as big as they usually are.

Of course they are, there arnt any carrots floating around in the ocean.
[rofl]

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
had no idea there were sharks that big nearby
I dont swim in the ocean anymore ,to many sharks around ,sat. we had some nice ones by us just off the beach . I'll stick to swimmin pools and bath tubs

They are wondering was is causing it distress
must have had his ole lady nag him to death .

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
had no idea there were sharks that big nearby
youd be surprised. just off the coast there are a wealth of sharks, including species that have been known to attack humans, including white sharks and bull sharks. If you want an interesting read, google the matawan shark attacks. also, in the there was also a usfws biologist in the 70s i believe who caught ant tagged over 40 whites in one summer off sandy hook, as well as an estimated 1000+lb white off montauk....theyre out there

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
catfish, where u seein these sharks? im itching to hook into one from the surf

1 - 20 of 31 Posts