New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this from a little "birdie"...

three bears were taken as of 2:30 p.m. friday, bringing the total to 267, but the news the reporters are hungry for is a poaching case. marty said he couldn't comment because the investigation that began this week was concluding.
reporters pecked away at how many nuisance bears were killed, apparently wrongly thinking that's a measure of the success of the hunt, but marty told them that scat from bears deep in the woods had birdseed and garbage in it, and that not all nuisance bears are caught and tagged, so some hunters bagged could have had aversive conditioning and not had anything that indicated they had been nuisances. he also said that nuisance complaints should decrease next year, as they did after the 2003 bear hunt.
on friday of the 2003 bear hunt, the total was 279 bears; today at 2:30 it was 267, and marty said the hunt was going along right where it should be, using a conservative, scientific, definitive approach.
the animal worshippers will be coming from nj and nyc to demonstrate at wayway at 11 a.m. saturday for the sunday papers and tv.
it'll be interesting to see if they come up with another phantom story like the one about a bear nobody except them has seen, as they did in 2003 when they said they nursed a wounded cub(that only they saw). some papers ate up their charges and whines anyway.
the antis advised participants not bring stuffed animals saturday. guess they don't want people to think they're kooks.
can't fool me.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I stopped at the Waywayanda check station last night. There were no bears checked there yesterday. There were 9 bears checked statewide yesterday according to one of the check station workers.

Hunted Wayway this morining. Saw nothing to shoot. There wer plenty of deer tracks between Iron Mountain Road anad Waywayabda Road. Saw no bear tracks. Initially hunted west of Iron Mountain Road. Followed my tracks from yesterday. For about 100 yards a deer walked in my footprints from last night. I know now my new boots are scent proof.

I guy I met told my there was a wacky looking anti waving a flashlight at vehicles on Waywayanda road just before dawn. Also the anti's must be having a big to do today there. On my way out of the park there were a fair amount of vehicles coming in at 11:00. None of them looked like hunters. One was a Prius which nobody but an anti would drive. Most anti's are women and most of the vehicles were women.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More from the birdie....

the count by 2:30 p.m. yesterday was 280 bears and the final tally will be on the division's website by noon sunday.
two bears that aren't in the count will cost two poachers money. they got them on newark watershed land, the state got a tip, and one guy with a revoked license got seven charges; his pal, who had a license and bear permit, was charged with failing to check it in and the butcher where they brought the bears faces charges for unlawfully possessing them.
marty said cold weather resulted in less bear activity, that the division had hoped for a bear kill of 300-400, and the hunt was very successful. expect stories from reporters who will ask city politicians whether another hunt should be held. if not in tomorrow's papers, give them time. they were asking about garbage education and birth control this afternoon.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
a license, a permit, and he didn't bother checking it in..

Throw the book at him![mad]

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Whelan;

I hunted south of NWS in Farny SP, but I have a watershed permit, and I didn't see anything in the paperwork about no baiting.

Did you get told this when you got the permit? (and, if so, where'd you get it? I got mine at the Clinton St. office in Newark since I work a block away.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Lemme check the fine print....

I don't bait in zone 6 (why bother...the bears and racoons get it before the deer!) but good to know.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Hey guys;

I checked the tan 4 page sheet (map, regs) and the white permit I signed...NOT A WORD about baiting.

What am I missing?????

[confused][confused]

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
With my glasses...see: [cool]

Anyhow..the white permit you sign basically says, "hunt at your own risk, we're not responsible" and "obey the law."

The tan 4 pager that says HUNTING NWCDC at the top of the front page has details on the seasons on the front page, the middle 2 pages are a map, and the back page has 17 rules--gotta have a license, where to park, watch the safety zones, check the deer, no permanent stands, etc. etc. but NOTHING ABOUT BAIT.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Oh..on another point: final # from the state website: 297 bears. [up][up][up]

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
As far as the baiting goes, the only thing that MIGHT lead you to believe that it isn't allowed is rule #2 that says "all the laws set forth in the most recent summary of NJ hunting laws must be obeyed". We've only been allowed to bait for a few years...if you've been hunting the shed for a while that may be what you're thinking of. [confused]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts