New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, here we are on the last day of the annual shotgun season. I hope you all had a succesful, gun week.

I hunted a 1/2 day with buckfever, brownstones, and our friend Sean. It normally takes me 30/45 mins to walk to my stand, well today it took me roughly 1.5 hours. I saw 6 does, buckfever & brownstones saw 2 each, and Sean saw nothing. No bear tracks at all. It wasn't the best shotgun season for me and the guys, we didn't see many deer, but that doesn't matter, what matters is that we all had a good fun time, and we came home safe.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Rough morning with a lot more snow in ZOne 2 than I expected. Saw a lot of tracks but only 4 does. We did take a small spike that was wounded but most guys saw very little. Heard few shots.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Mon. I saw 30 deer, 0 bucks. I sat from dark to dark. Tues, I saw 2 small bucks, I didn't shoot, I satfor 5 hrs. Thur. 1 deer, in 5 hrs. Today 0 deer in 5 hrs.....When I left the property today, I counted about 20 deer on all the lawns of houses near the area I hunted. It seems like after Mon. all the deer hearded up and stayed next to the houses, nice and safe...Zone 12... Whitehouse Station. very little shooting all week....Congrats to all that scored!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We stopped for lunch at JUMBOLAND, 2 bucks came in a small 3 pointer, and a decent 6 pointer. Buckfever and I spoke with the guys with the 3 pointer, they got in in zone 1. They hunted all week, and said it was slow for them, they bitched also that too many antlerless deer taken, cause they haven't seen the number of deer like they saw in the past.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I hunted today for about 6 hours - didn't see zip. Very disappointing. I did see tons of bear sign and a cool bear snow angel. I took a picture but I don't know if it came out. Looked like a cub was lying down on it's side in the snow because it left a perfect imprint. I thought at first it was made when someone shot one but nobody killed any bear and there was no blood. Pretty cool.

Oh well - ML season in Zone 10 continues.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Saw five does and a nice eight point. Saw the eight at 1:30 pm to far for a shot though. I will be back up on Monday with the muzzy.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i was in zone 5 from noon till dark! lot of tracks but no deer! saw a lot of bear tracks leading to gut piles from monday & wed hunt! saw a a small 6 pointer & a doe on my way home tonight! they were in front of a house in allamuchy!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
MSGDAN Did you hunt this morning and if you did do you take 523 from 78. I hunt up the road from you. This morning I get off exit 24 off 78, and the first street on the left, just before the Merck light there was a big Doe with both of her back legs busted. She was laying dead smack in the middle of 523. The poor Animal, I felt so helpless. I looked for a cop all down 523, 22 and all the way down to whitehouse police station, not a single cop. I din'd stop because that is part of Tewskberry, and whitehouse is part of Redington.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
El Jefe, I get off the first exit on 78 west from 287, I am not sure if that is 523. I p [no swearing please] Fiddlers Elbow golf course, then go to 22 west, then turn left near the WalMart. I didn't see that doe, but a few years back I saw a deer that was just hit by a car, a very helpless feeling.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
MsgDan that is exit 26, you make the left at the exit and you go along that big horse farm with the long white fence. The Walmart on 22 is having a big sell on all the hunting cloth and any thing else to do with hunting up to 60% off. My friends were there Wends and they clean up.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Wish I knew about the sale today.. I won't get a chance to go back down for a week or so, due to work. But thanks for the heads up.Great fishing pictures in your gallery too. I do a lot of fishing in Sandy Hook with my kayak. I did great with the fluke, and blues, and had 3 stripers a couple of weeks back. I am thinking of going tomorrow with the kayak in the ocean, I am reading they are killing them. Mostly shorts, but great action in a kayak. Just hope I don't fall in!!!!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
El Jefe, do you hunt off 523, or in that vicinity? The reason I ask is because I used to have permission to hunt the property from 523 all the way up to the power lines past Merck. In other words you take exit 24 off 78, make a left at the light, get to the next light(Taylors Mil Rd.)make a right, I had permission to hunt all that property to the right of the road all the way up to the power lines. What a place that was. Great area for #'s of deer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts