New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided this summer that after the general buck season I would take my 5 yr. old son along on some of the any deer days with either the muzzle loader or the shotgun. I thought it would be prudent to utilize the added concealment of a ground blind. I purchased a Double Bull Matrix blind. I am very happy to report that it performed flawlessly!

The Blind and the Boy

What I hadn't planned on was the frigid arctic blast we had on Tuesday night into Wednesday. We woke to temps. that which I have never hunted in during my 25 years of hunting. My whole idea was to make my sons first deer hunt fun and productive and the unusual cold blast was less than ideal. I put a little propane heater in the blind and 2 collapsable lounge chairs in the blind. I had been baiting an area pretty heavy the week prior to keep deer sightings up and Tuesday eve we headed out. At 4 PM we had 2 deer come in and after close inspection we determined they were button bucks and while my son really wanted me to shoot I convinced him that they might be next years buck so we should let them walk. Some turkeys then came in (10 ft. from the blind) and spooked the 2 buck fawns away. Right about now I was starting to second guess my decision not to shoot the little ones when a small doe came in. I checked for nubs and told Travis I was going to shoot... Man was he totally excited!!!

Our first Father and Son Kill

View From the Blind

Comfort of the Blind

The next morning we got to the blind just before sun-up and it was wicked cold -11 on my truck thermometer!!! I gotta give the little guy credit he made it until 9 AM and we didn't see a thing... We went to the cabin for some hot cocoa and a nap and were back in the blind by 2:30. At 4 PM a group of 3 came in and I took the biggest of the lot.

Second Father and Son Kill

It's really nice when a plan comes together. I can honestly say it was the best day and a half of hunting I have ever had. On the way home he said thanks for finally taking me Dad I'll never forget it... I think I'll be smiling for a month!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Fantastic. Double Bull blind $149.00 2 chairs $20.00 Ammunition $15.00 memories of sharing a day and a half with your future hunting partner PRICELESS!! Wait until he bags his first one you'll be dancing on the ceiling[up]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
What a memorable hunt for both of you.

I give the little guy a lot of credit for braving the cold with you[up]

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Great work Venison..

It is awesome to see everything come together for you guys.

I can only to share some of the same experiences with Jcchartgirl when I take her out for her first hunt Saturday morning..

·
Registered
507 Posts
can only to share some of the same experiences with Jcchartgirl when I take her out for her first hunt Saturday morning..
I'm so jealous of Jcchartgirl!!! I can't wait to go out this winter.... when I get back home, it'll only be my second time out ever, and I'm so anxious to go... :) I hope she enjoys every minute of it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the kind words guys. For those of you out there with little one's I highly recommend taking them with you... You'll not only strengthen bonds and build memories you will also be helping our sport and that is the best way to fight anti- hunters!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I know this does not belong here, but can any body tell me how to start a new topic or post, I only seem to be able to reply to already created posts, how do I start a new one??? Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts