New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw nothing on stand till 10:30.
On my way in to stand deer where running all over. I thought it would be a good morning!

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
It was certainly cool enough to have them running. I think once the rain stopped last night with that moon out, they were out eating.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I would have been out this morning, but Im just losing motivation. The alarm went off at 3:45 and I turned it off and rolled over. :eek:

Everytime I think about sitting all day, or putting in a good full effort, I think of the lack of massive wall hangers like what I really want. Sure there are a few nice bucks in the public land Im hunting, but nothing that makes me want to give it my all. Oh well....I guess I shouldnt complain.

I think Im gonna hop in the shower now, and go for the remainder of the afternoon. If Im blessed with an opportunity so be it, if not it will still be better than sitting on here talking/reading about hunting.

Good luck to anyone going out this afternoon.:)

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Matty, when I get back I'll help motivate you.
What are you going to do, put a life size picture of NJfarmgirl in his stand??

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Drag I am pretty sure that you are allowed in with me just cant hunt. If you are interested in checking it out just let me know.There are alot of deer on the arsenal.
Oh and as far as driving goes the guys that hunt shotgun drive the heck out of the place from muzzle loader all the way through shotgun. They go to the places you canot carry a firearm hunting areas 5 and 13 are a couple. they are two huge pieces of property on the arsenal but are bow only. once the heavy shooting starts the deer head for these areas.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
My younger brother connected with his first buck tonight![up] Im so proud of him!

Here is his story;

My brother Matt picked me up early from HS today. Normally I have to run track, so I dont get to hunt very often. Matt had me settled into a blowdown with the wind in my face by about 3pm, it felt like a good day. He let me use his calls and rattling antlers, and as he left, he told me to make doe bleats while he walked away. So I did. Within half an hour two does came looking for the deer that was bleating. They ate acorns and leaves off the ground at about forty yards for about 20 minutes, but they never came over close enough. I already shot two does this year anyway so I wasnt really interested in them. I was hoping a buck was following them, but no such luck. Around 4;15pm I saw a big body moving at about 150 yards, so I took the grunt call and let out two loud grunts. The deer looked my way, but it didnt seem interested. It was walking in and out of view. I decided to mash the rattle horns together to see if the deer would respond. After about 30 seconds of rattling, I could see the deer was now headed in my direction,so I put the anlters down. Around 70 yards I kept catching glimpses of antlers. When it got to 30 yards it stood looking for the fight. I was shaking like a leaf from the cold and from the deer a little. I didnt want to shoot it over 20 yards, so it was out of range for what seemed like forever, but it finally walked to within 10 yards and stopped. It was broadside and had its head behind a tree, I slowly drew. I put my top pin on the deers vitals and released. It was a good hit. The deer actually fell down. By the time it got back up, I was able to shoot it again through the vitals. This time it took off running. I watched it collapse about forty or fifty yards out. Its not a big buck, Ive seen lots of bucks that are way bigger, but I couldnt p [no swearing please] my first perfect chance at a buck. This is my third year of bowhunting and Ive only shot three deer before this one, a button buck, and two does. So I am tickled to death to get my first buck. Thanks for listening to my story. Greg :)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
AWESOME STORY Gregg, Congrats, at least we know someone in your family can get a deer, cause we sure as hell know Matty can't get anything but his hands on his.................. [up]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Greg great job on your first buck .Lets see some pictures!! Youre Bro is very knowledgeable just keep learnin from him and you will never have a problem finding the deer. I'm happy for your first buck.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Sweet! Way to go. Thanks for sharing the story and welcome to the fraternity.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Congrats Greg. You always remeber your 1st buck.

How come you don't have your own name? Matty don'e let you on his computer?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Congrats to Greg..

Today I spent my seventh full day hunting Highpoint, it is NOT what it once was but there are plenty of big bucks still around. today I pardoned a nice buck had 5 points on one side and the other broken two inches above the base. I had him 12 feet away behind me but I figured maybe next year hell reward me with a gourgeous rack:D. by letting him pass.
Today I saw deer finally moving quite a bit guess that cold had them moving.
finished the two weeks with just a doe, let many small bucks walk by. not worth shooting the small ones there.
If that monster ten pointer I saw last week makes it to next year hell better 160B&C, maybe more.[up]:)[up]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Great Job Greg! You have come a long way since you started a few years ago!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts