New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walked out to the truck to leave and go hunting. All I needed to do was stick my head out the door. Wow, that wind is cooking and going to get worse. No, need to hunt in this gale for me.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Might be windy but I'm heading out to Pa to shoot some pheasants this morning. The wind just makes them fly a bit faster.:D Dogs will find them no matter how bad the wind is.

Have a good day.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm not hunting today, so it could be windy all it wants. May deter people from going, and may even deter the deer from moving and if thats the case Friday will be a great day

B

·
0 Posts
Washing my camo now in the scent free soap, with todays winds they should dry quick outside.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Someone tell the deer behind my house to stop eating. It's to windy!!
So flipper I get it now. I don't hunt in the rain & you don't hunt the wind. LOL

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have killed some of my best Bucks in conditions like today. One thing is for sure, you are not going to get that big one sitting in your living room:D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Well the wind wasnt too bad early. I had a very exciting day.

I went out this morning with Sean, Ian, and Kris. Kris gave me an idea for a spot. He suggested I go to the end of an "island" of cattails in the middle of a cut cornfield. There were NO trees anywhere to hang a stand, so I built a blind out of cut stalks. It was kind of nestled into the cattails about 5 yards off the edge of the cut corn.

As soon as I could see enough to shoot, I let out two doe bleats and put my call away. Within 5 minutes I hear crunching coming up from my left side. Its thick with cattails so I cant see anything yet. Then I catch movement. It looked big so I thought it might be Sean changing spots. So I sit waiting. Suddenly I see a rack, a very big rack. Its maybe 8 yards away and rounding the edge of the cattails to where I can shoot. I get drawn back and preaim, the deer comes out and hes walking less than 5 yards away. I didnt have time to count points but he was at least a big eight or ten, thick white frame. As I try to aim there is a stalk right in my way, I try to lean out to settle the pin on him but he spots me and trots off. He paused at about 40 yards, and then again at 100. I wanted to get up and leave when that happened. It can be tough on the ground.....damn it. I still cant believe he spotted me shifting my weight like that.

About a half hour later, I could see four does feeding on the other corner of the field. I ranged one at 293 yards. I think a small buck came out and chased them around too, because there was one running after all of them with its head down, but they could have been playing. I couldnt see antlers through the rangefinder so if it was a buck it wasnt a shooter.

A little while later about 400 geese filtered into the field. At first it was small groups of 15-20. Then big groups of 50 or more started showing up. It was pretty cool. If I was goose hunting, I could have had some, even with the bow. As they were filling up the field I saw three or four more deer feeding opposite of me. They were 319 yards away according to the range finder. They stuck around for about an hour.

As the deer filtered into the woods across from me, a flock of 6 gobblers came out the corner where the big buck went. I made some calls at them, but they werent interested. They fed for about a half an hour and filtered back into the woods.

The geese all took off just before it was time to leave, and I swear everyone of them flew over my head. I thought for sure I was gonna get bombed by a goose, but it didnt happen. The last animal I saw was Ian walking down the edge of the corn field.:D

An eventful day though, and Im glad I got to spend it out there with Sean, Ian, and even that sissy girl Kris.:D

Thanks again Sean for taking us out with you. [up][up]

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Bob you are right, but I did shoot some @ LB's new place, patterned some new loads for the ducks. One thing I can not do is sit in the living room, its way over rated.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The last animal I saw was Ian walking down the edge of the corn field.

Matty you sure are a pisser, Don't even know why this guys take you out. Was Kris wearing his CAMO skirt??? :D:D

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Your welcome guys glad you had a good time. My new favorite saying "hey look a deer I'm gonna go get it" :)

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I found my doe I shot last evening right where I last saw her. I also so a nice buck but no shot. I got a picture of him an hour later standing next to the road as I was leaving. I post it later.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Congrats on another doe JR![up]

Man the wind really picked up. I was gonna go out and film my younger brother this pm, but its just too windy. Im not in the mood to have a tree fall on me.[down]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Jeez Matt you should have just drove the nail right thru the cornstalk and the buck at that range!!!!!!!It would have gone thru the deer no doubt about it. Sorry for the salt in the wounds but I shoulda, coulda, woulda on monday with a big ten. I know you are like me and don't let it get to you[up] That old saying "Live for another day" that is what I tell myself when I blow it like I did on monday and like I did last year during the Rut. Come to think of it I have a long list of blown chances[smirk] LOL

Windy days = STILL HUNTING

1 - 20 of 25 Posts