New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight finally saw my first decent buck of the season. Really have had a tough last two seasons as far as quality bucks are concerned.

Grunted a few soft grunts around 5:20 and he came walking In around 5:30. Had to give him a bleat with my mouth to stop him in the only opening I had at 12 yards. Knew the shot was a touch back but knew it clipped lungs and was definitely a lethal shot. Backed out to take climber and back pack to the truck and waited for my father to help track and drag.

Once he got there we walked back. Good blood on arrow but noticed two blades were broken on my g5 t3 with no blood on the ground. Slowly moved the direction he ran and was relieved to see a good blood trail for 20 yards. Only for it to disappear to a few specs of blood. Finally hit a spot where we could smell the buck. Nothing on the trail so we were looking in the fence row. Was starting to get nervous when I went back to where we could smell deer and walked a row or two into the corn field and found him less then 5 yards where we could smell the deer. I left my arrow where I shot him but I'll post pictures when I get it Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Congrats [up] On a nice Buck . Two questions did you hit bone or did the ground break the blades and being the shot was a little back did intestines or stomach plug the lower hole (Lack of blood trail ) ?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What you call a failure, I call confirmation of hitting the rib cage. Nice buck congrats!
I've hit many rib cages and never have had blades break before. Exit wound was a little sliver that you couldn't see without moving his hair. Luckily we could smell him and he only went 40 yards or else it would have been tough tracking job

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Must a been like forever damn old men.lol Friggin louie you the boy!!!!
Na. He was hunting a few mins away waiting for him helped me give the buck a good 45 mins before starting the tracking job. Thanks bob

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I remember the old satellite broadheads with the blue blades and orange ferrule, the blades were very flimsy and would bend but never seemed to break. Those things went thru deer like butter. Maybe a little forgiveness in the steel isnt such a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats [up] On a nice Buck . Two questions did you hit bone or did the ground break the blades and being the shot was a little back did intestines or stomach plug the lower hole (Lack of blood trail ) ?
Judging by the exit wound it broke inside him. Entrance was touch back hit liver, exit was middle of lung. He only went 40 yards.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts