New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm going to buy a 13 foot, 2 seater, Angler Kayak.

I am going to take it out into the Bay & Freshwater. I might also bring my 13 year old sister.

I can just put it in the water and go? No licsense or permit required right? I mean obviously we need life jackets but, thats all right? [confused]

I dont want to get stopped by the coast guard for some stupid SH**.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
A whistle and signal mirror a water proof hand held radio would be a smart thing seeing your going into the bay and a safty flag so boaters will see you .

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
A whistle and signal mirror a water proof hand held radio would be a smart thing seeing your going into the bay and a safty flag so boaters will see you .
If I'm not mistaken, a whistle is required. Good advice on the other items. A light is necessary at night.

My 'yak has a rod holder with a rod lanyard to keep the rod attached to the boat. I also have a paddle lanyard for the same reasons. If you fish the salt for blues or any toothy critters, better get a Boga Grip or cheap plastic grip that will do the same job. No lip landing those beasts!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Dont go into the bay if its your first time on one, try it out in fresh water, on a calm lake. You have to get used to reaching over and grabbing fish. try it with a largemouth before you go for the striper or thoses blues!

also highly recomend a paddle leash and def. rod holders

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And def, rod holders.
The nice thing about this Kayak is, that it comes with 2 Rod Holders, a Tackle Box Area, and other equipment set-up for fishing. They call it an "Angler Kayak" I'm hoping it lives up to its name. ;)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
One other good thing to do is on a nice day go to a lake and flip your kayak and learn to get yourself back into it . search utube and look up kayak re entry theres thing thats will teach you to be safe and have a more enjoyable fishing trip.
John

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
yupp all good ideas to have..what i have in my yak is...tie line tied to the front, my PFD, whistle, hand bilge pump, small first aid kit (med tape, band aids, medical cream, CPR mask, waterproof matches, and small mirror and scissor)

thats a bout it...i normal dont go in the bay but i have it all there if i am in fresh or salt water...never can be too safe.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Good advice in looking for a kayak as well

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
So, I'm going to buy a 13 foot, 2 seater, Angler Kayak.
just make sure you are making the right choice with the 2 man yak..some 2 man yaks are a pain in the butt if there aint 2 people in there! I would hate to see you get that yak and your sister not wanna go all the time and it be hard to handle. i suggest the one seater angler yaks, much more sturdy and alot easier to handle putting in and out of the lake or bay.

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just make sure you are making the right choice with the 2 man yak..some 2 man yaks are a pain in the butt if there aint 2 people in there! I would hate to see you get that yak and your sister not wanna go all the time and it be hard to handle. i suggest the one seater angler yaks, much more sturdy and alot easier to handle putting in and out of the lake or bay.
Thank You. [up]

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
One other good thing to do is on a nice day go to a lake and flip your kayak and learn to get yourself back into it .
this is a MUST if you plan on taking it into the bay or ocean at some point. i have done it several times the day i went to test how to right my self...gotta know how to do it in any situation[up]

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I would also say a one seater would be better at first. Where are you north jersey or south jersey. I have a pungo 120 and I am up north. If you are near me you can try it out. It is very stable and you might like it better. You can also buy some rod holders. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I found mine I just have to buy it now. Hows your search going?
Not too bad. found a few i like. Cant wait to get on the water.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.