New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Runnin backyard this AM and came up on this mangy fox, finally.... I have 2 on cams that I have been trying for. I would love to see nice looking, disease free critters in back but Im sure it will be awhile. Do the mites stay in dens for long? Do they give it to other animals they come in close contact with? I want this disease gone, outta my "backyard"!

View attachment 29247 MangeFox1.jpg

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not sure if this is a fact but I've been told the mites can live in a den for up to 2 years. There is alot of mange in my area also the last 2 years.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
nice job on nocking him down

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
burry that thing so other animals or fox don't get to it and catch it. I had a farm loaded with it. caught about 20 with mange off of it that year, the next year I didn't set it much but pulled a couple off of it that was mange free and the year after that the fox population was back and I don't recall catching one with mange on that farm since.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have a 145 ac. pc. I trap. When I started I got 18 fox off of that farm, 13 of them had bad mange. I have trapped it for the past 4 yrs and have slowly, I believe, trapped a lot of the mange out of there. Last tear I got 20 off that farm and only one was mangy. Keeping the numbers in check helps them more than you will know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts