New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am using 00 buck shot this season. with a open iron sight on my 870 express. anybody have any experience with this combo?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Nick,

OO buckshot is plenty capable of killing a deer. Just pattern the gun to see if it throws a good pattern. And since you have iron sights, you can dial in your pattern to make sure your point of impact is the same as where you are pointing the gun.

David

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
If you are using an iron sight whay aren't you using a slug?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Probably it's a smooth bore. If that is the case, he'd need to use rifled slugs. For me, if I had a gun that patterned well with a range of 50 yds, I'd take buckshot over slugs any day.

David

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
When we start driving later in the week I use my 1187 with 3" OOB. Patterns really well out to 55-60 yds.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Well don't ask me my opinion of it[down]

In 1990 I shot a realy nice 9pt buck at 15 yards with 3 inch Magnum 00 buckshot...First shot hit him right in the chest, he turned sideways and I hit him broadside again, knocking him down. He then got up and ran right into a big oak tree and I blasted him again. He ran over 500 yards and another hunter shot him. I swore I would never use 00buck again.

I have kept my word.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
At 15 yds you should have blown a hole the size of a softball in him.

Nick
Don't forget to pattern the gun to see what brand shot works best. And also try different chokes.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
It did. There was blood all over the place. He was a very large body 3 1/2 year old deer. Christ I even knocked him down with the second shot. You can't blame me for not using it again after that fiasco.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Nick, try the federal premium 00buck, the copper jacketed stuff, it patterns alot better than the pure lead stuff, I've had no problems nocking deer down with that.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
2 3/4 12 ga. extra full choke.At 15 yards I hit a doe in the throat patch. The butcher said the only thing holding the head on was the hide.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Im shooting Winchester 3 inch 00Buck 15 pellets. I shot my deer last week at approx 25 yds with Improved Cycl choke. I counted 11 holes when I gathered him up. I've never lost a deer with this load. I just keep'em close. No further than 40 yds.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Remington 2 3/4 00 Mag is what i shoot out of my 870. 9 out of 12 pellets in a 12 inch circle almost everytime at 40 yards.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
We are limited to Buckshot when we do are deer drives with our Club, so we have to make the best of what I consider a POOR killer. Very rarely do you get a good blood trail if you don't kill the deer right away.
In our experience we have found that th PATTERN MASTER CHOKE with Federal 00 BK loads seems to hold great tight patterns.
The Pattern Master Choke was developed along with Federal Cart. Co. And it seems to work best with their 00Bk. loads. There in a very fine lip inside the choke tube that holds the wad for a milisecond allowing the pellets to exit the barrel before the wad. That way the wad never contacts the pellets after they leave the barrel. About 8 or 10 of my Club members now use this combo, and are shooting phenomanal ( spelling ? ) patterns.
Last year I dropped a 8 pointer dead in his tracks with my 10ga. at 57 yds. There was 11 pellets in his chest.
These chokes are available through Cabela's. The only draw back is the cost $89 [sad]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Yea, my 10ga. really knocks them down, but carrying a 9 1/2lb gun all day can get to you. By the end of the day you'll wish it had wheels. But when I turn it loose there's no doubt who's shooting :D

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i always shot OO. last year i put a scope on slug barrel. so this will be my first slug only season.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
If you read all the above posts you will clearly see why everyone needs to pattern their shotguns. What works in one gun may shoot terrible patterns in someone elses. So I tell everybody to invest in a variety of buckshot and try as many different types as you can, till you find the load that your gun likes the best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts