How safe are stirrups held in by set screws?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By vdep217
  • 1 Post By Pathman

Thread: How safe are stirrups held in by set screws?

Member #

How safe are stirrups held in by set screws?

Hi all, new to the forums and hunting in general. Over the summer I purchased a Centerpoint Sniper 370. My plan was practice target shooting while preparing for the written test for my hunter's license. On my third trip after around 30-40 shots, the stirrup set screws came loose while I was using the bow, and the stirrup came unhinged from the crossbow while I was cocking (I had double checked that during assembly I tightened everything properly). The entire bow came up and the stock hit me in the cheek pretty hard, and I was gushing blood for quite a while. I wound up getting 13 stitches from a plastic surgeon and will probably have a small scar on my face for the rest of my life.

I plan on getting a new crossbow and giving it all another shot, but am somewhat weary of purchasing another bow with a stirrup held in by set screws. How common is it for set screws holding the stirrup to come loose like that? Is it reasonable to continue to be concerned about that problem with another bow going forward?

Thanks all!

Member #
    Put it back together and this time use a bit of lock tight on the set screws

Member #
    Not saying it should happen to any crossbow, but a crossbow in that price range is more
    likey to have an issue like that. Might want to consider a higher quality crossbow if possible.
    That being said, there’s a lot of shock to a crossbow on every shot, eventually parts will come loose on occasion, just have to stay vigilant with regular check of your equipment.
    DonW2012 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    So sorry for the late reply but thank you both for the info! will be sure to put it to use going forward!

Sponsors