Small Engine question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    I have a 35 year old roto-tiller that is a beast. It's a fantastic tiller, but the problem is, it won't start unless I spray starter fluid in the carb first. Then it will start right up. So, what causes this, and what can I do to fix it so that I don't have to spray first? Any help/input would be appreciated!
    "Joe Bow & Arrow" Pro-Staff

Member #
    35 year old roto-tiller
    answered.

Member #
    Sounds like a sticky float. Remove your carb and clean it. should start up fine after that. Did you check the lines to the carb also? Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Me too, it started when they added ethynol to gas a few years back. Gas could be breaking down in the carb. getting gunked up.

Member #
    i use that stuff in almost every machine i own lol, from tillers and log splitters to trucks and tractors

Member #
    Drain and remove old gas,overhaul carb [clean all the jets, float etc.] blow out passage ways with compressed air. reassemble, fill with fresh fuel.
    amateurs practice till they get it right, professionals practice till they can't get it wrong

Member #
    Not getting gas. Check you inline fuel filter, pull the hose off the out side. Do it spill fuel? If so the problem is in the carb. First drop the bowl to see if the float is free. If it is. The needle valve screw is probably clogged. Pull the carb and clean thoroughly. When you re-assemble it, crank the air and fuel screws all the way down and back off 1-1/2 turns to start. Season to taste after that. Also, if it has a mechanical or electric fuel pump, not just a gravity feed, check that before pulling the carb.

ALSO before you pull the carb off... drain tank from the hose into a clear jar. If there is water in the tank you will see it separate right away. Water will always be at the bottom of the tank. Drain till you get just gas. The water will come out first. Then try and start it again. I had this exact problem. Would start with a Hot Shot, then die. It was drawing water in the tank from sitting outside in the rain with a leaky gas tank cap.

Best I know.

T
    Clear your mind, breath, be sure and confident of your shot, commit to the shot, take your shot.
    In memory of Uncle Dick, 1st Marines, One of Korea's Chosin Few.
    TS Penn

Member #
    Pull the carb off and take it apart. Clean it all out with carb-cleaner spray; jets needle, etc, etc. Clean all of the fuel lines(with compressed air) and get a new fuel filter.

If you can still get parts, get a new air filter, or clean the one thats on it, now. Also, clean out the air box with a vaccuum.

Get a new spark plug.

Drain the gas tank.....Fill it with fresh fuel.

Drain the oil, and take note of the color and consistency..Fill with new oil

As long you're getting spark, air and fuel, unobstructed, it should run. If not, the piston may be worn.
    I'm the smile on the face of every criminal you'll ever acquit. I'm the things you've done that you'll never admit....

Member #
    Good point about the piston being worn. Compression. This one is 35 years old so it could have a compression problem.

However on a off shoot note: Rototiller and Snow blower engines are usually in great shape. These two tools get on average a couple hours use per year then stored away. As such very low hours. They are great motors for go-carts. Carb gum up problems is the norm, but the engines are mostly hard to find side sprocket mount and make great go-cart motors or log splitter replacement motors.

T
    Clear your mind, breath, be sure and confident of your shot, commit to the shot, take your shot.
    In memory of Uncle Dick, 1st Marines, One of Korea's Chosin Few.
    TS Penn

Member #
    hold your thumb over carb intake (where you spray)
    give it 1-2 light pulls. This will prime the eng. Unlike new machines with the lil primer ball this should help before you tear the carb apart.
    Blank buck tags are not badges of yesterday's failure, but rather tickets to a better tomorrow!

If it cant be done in the woods
    It should not be done at all!!!
    UBNJ
    SYKK PHYSH striper crew
    http://www.sykkphyshsportfishing.com/
    http://www.outdoorsaddiction.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors