Bedding Areas

Thread: Bedding Areas

Member #
    2nd year hunting, can never find a nice buck's bedding area. How do you find their bedding areas i have no knowledge when it comes to bucks bedding.. I know a group of does bed behind my house in this rocky area with little patches of grass. Do bucks like ridges? brush? hilltops? Any advice or experience you'v had with finding bedding areas. It would be very helpful, thanks

Member #
    The biggest bucks I've ever seen excluding the rut have been in dark, swampy, thick cover. I found giant rubs in another swamp area that was very difficult to get into. A large mature buck will stay very close to his "core" area until the rut. He will return to this area again after the rut. The most important thing you can do in my opinion, is to learn the entire area you will be hunting. Get topo maps, aerial maps, and wear out them boots!

Member #
    the land i hunt is so confusing, it'l be a sawmp one minute then a mountain, then a ridge, river, then a funnel, then just normal woods. Its so big that i dont know where to go or where to look..

today i walked a crap load and saw nothing, walked a couple ridges, hill tops, the mountain, normal woods, swamp. Ehhh

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    If you are scouting and you find a spot and say to yourself "How the hell am i gonna get in there?" its probably a bedding area. Thick nasty stuff, briars, mountain laurels, tall grass, etc....I have also found some beds after a snowfall, whether it was a buck or doe im not sure. But if you see an area void of snow that looks like the size of a deer laying down, it could be a bedding area. I dont have enough property to find definite bedding areas but i have stumbled across a few while scouting....Good Luck

Member #
    I always go out every winter and check the deer runs in the snow to find out what the deer are doing.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samual Adams

Proud Member of NRA, ANJRPC, B.A.S.S., Muskie Inc., NO Staff; The White Oaks Hunting Club

Member #
    The bucks like the nasty stuff. Which is mostly swamps in my woods. Try to find rubs leading into or out of it and hunt close to the edge. Be careful of your scent control and entry and exit routes. Put in some seat time and try to catch him sneaking in or out of his bedroom.
    "Tell 'em i'm comin'. And hell's comin' with me."
    "Don't be a hater. Be a congratulater."

Member #
    i cant find the bedding areas either, every place i ever bounced a big buck it was the first and last time hes been there
    "Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest."

--------------------

http://www.catholic.com/
    http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0126.htm

GVS
    Member #
    I've seen them bed on ridgetops during the day where they can see all approaching danger, I've also seen them bed in the thick nasty stuff down low, cedar Knobs are always a deer beding magnet, Islands in swamps are awesome, you really cant walk in to a new area and expect to find all the good areas without hunting/scouting. You can weed out the baren spots quickly. I've noted that most of the deer I find and I'm primarily a still hunter are in areas of good deer sign, rubs and scrapes. Snow is key, once there is snow on the ground get to your hunting spots quick and you will learn 5 years worth of scouting in a day.

Sponsors