Pine Barrens: Beginner looking for a guide
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By slayer1962
  • 1 Post By Electriclife
  • 1 Post By Outdoor

Thread: Pine Barrens: Beginner looking for a guide

  1. #1
    Fawn Mjmartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    66147

    Pine Barrens: Beginner looking for a guide

    I'm new to the area (Gloucester county) and want to start hunting for deer for food. But really open to anything kind of game. I do not have a license but want to know the proper steps to get out there and start hunting. What do I need to get started for bow hunting? What kind of camo gear to get? Recommend an entry level crossbow?

    Looking to tagalong with someone in the pine barrens and learn the ropes. I'm a 29 year old. Thanks all the help appreciated

  2. #2
    Dominant Buck hunterbob1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Co.
    Posts
    6,152
    Member #
    21229
    Thanked
    1378 times
    I began paying my dues in 1971 went towards .........I love the woods,had many fun times,go for it.
    Last edited by hunterbob1; 11-08-2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Didn't finish post lol
    “I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together.” –John Burroughs

  3. #3
    Monster Buck mikec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,063
    Member #
    3833
    Thanked
    438 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjmartin View Post
    I'm new to the area (Gloucester county) and want to start hunting for deer for food. But really open to anything kind of game. I do not have a license but want to know the proper steps to get out there and start hunting. What do I need to get started for bow hunting? What kind of camo gear to get? Recommend an entry level crossbow?

    Looking to tagalong with someone in the pine barrens and learn the ropes. I'm a 29 year old. Thanks all the help appreciated
    You may find someone who will let you "tagalong". I wouldn't hold my breath, most folks treasure their spots, especially if it took time to find a truly productive area. It's not rocket science, use Google maps, find a promising area and get out there. You don't need much to get started, a good knife and boots to start. Plenty of reviews online for crossbows, narrow it down, go to a store that has in stock, or order online. With regard to camo, never believed in it, all you need are earth-tone colored clothing, stealth and some brains to use the wind to your favor.

    Good luck.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Dominant Buck slayer1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Manchester ,nj
    Posts
    7,803
    Member #
    9784
    Thanked
    2530 times
    Pinelands is a great place to start! Big woods to explore! Get a GPS! use it learn it your life could depend on it. I moved to the Pinelands after 30 years hunting in Sussex county.
    You can and will get lost in the Pinelands . Mark your truck and take a walk in the woods. Find deer sign and mark that on your GPS .
    Eventually you will have several potential locations to hunt. sit in each one and see what you see.
    Hunting is a learning process and takes patience. Did I mention GET A GPS and learn how to use it LOL
    ChrisNj likes this.

  6. #5
    Fawn Mjmartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    66147
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer1962 View Post
    Pinelands is a great place to start! Big woods to explore! Get a GPS! use it learn it your life could depend on it. I moved to the Pinelands after 30 years hunting in Sussex county.
    You can and will get lost in the Pinelands . Mark your truck and take a walk in the woods. Find deer sign and mark that on your GPS .
    Eventually you will have several potential locations to hunt. sit in each one and see what you see.
    Hunting is a learning process and takes patience. Did I mention GET A GPS and learn how to use it LOL
    Thank you. I will for sure get a GPS before heading out there. Don't want to get lost out there. The pines can be so disorienting. I think I will start going out in my backyard because I have woods there. I've never cleaned and butchered a deer but I guess Ill figure it out. Just gotta get out there.

    Just figured I put a feeler for someone with some patience to show me the basics. Thanks!

  7. #6
    Rack Buck Bones132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    340
    Member #
    47673
    Thanked
    229 times
    Get the dvd and workbook from the state fish and game watch it do the workbook they’re are a few dates left to take the hunting test I think next Wednesday at south jersey shooting club in Winslow and next Sunday at interboro gun club.
    You will learn a lot from the dvd and they show you how to gut a deer field dress.
    I’m in south jersey as well where about in Gloucester county are you in

  8. #7
    Fawn Electriclife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    LEHT
    Posts
    72
    Member #
    34492
    Thanked
    21 times
    MJ, First you have to get a license,that requires the proper courses for specific weapon. Make hunter friends at work,trust goes a long way.Theres a lot of opportununity in the Pines for hunting.
    DonW2012 likes this.

  9. #8
    Fawn Mjmartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    66147
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones132 View Post
    Get the dvd and workbook from the state fish and game watch it do the workbook they’re are a few dates left to take the hunting test I think next Wednesday at south jersey shooting club in Winslow and next Sunday at interboro gun club.
    You will learn a lot from the dvd and they show you how to gut a deer field dress.
    I’m in south jersey as well where about in Gloucester county are you in
    I am in Franklinville.

  10. #9
    Fawn Outdoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Somerset County
    Posts
    31
    Member #
    56010
    Thanked
    14 times
    There is a new NJ apprenticeship program I believe in NJ that helps with new hunters, pretty interesting to look into.
    DonW2012 likes this.

  11. #10
    Dominant Buck hunterbob1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Co.
    Posts
    6,152
    Member #
    21229
    Thanked
    1378 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjmartin View Post
    I'm new to the area (Gloucester county) and want to start hunting for deer for food. But really open to anything kind of game. I do not have a license but want to know the proper steps to get out there and start hunting. What do I need to get started for bow hunting? What kind of camo gear to get? Recommend an entry level crossbow?

    Looking to tagalong with someone in the pine barrens and learn the ropes. I'm a 29 year old. Thanks all the help appreciated
    Like outdoor said,good idea.Get a NJ hunting digest and there's lots to read in there,good luck.
    “I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together.” –John Burroughs

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. A decent little Pine Barrens 7 ptr opening day
    By deadeye in forum Deer Zone 23
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 09:56 PM
  2. For the guys that hunt in the Pine Barrens, hope you enjoy
    By MonmouthZone16 in forum General Comments & Information
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM
  3. Camo Suggestions- Pine Barrens
    By 312Firefighter in forum General Comments & Information
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM
  4. Bewildered in the Pine Barrens
    By Mate Mike in forum General Comments & Information
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 11:12 PM
  5. What species of fish are in the Pine Barrens?
    By BarnettBowHunter in forum Fishing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 01:01 AM