Pine Barrens: Beginner looking for a guide
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By slayer1962
  • 1 Post By Electriclife
  • 1 Post By Outdoor

Thread: Pine Barrens: Beginner looking for a guide

Member #

Pine Barrens: Beginner looking for a guide

I'm new to the area (Gloucester county) and want to start hunting for deer for food. But really open to anything kind of game. I do not have a license but want to know the proper steps to get out there and start hunting. What do I need to get started for bow hunting? What kind of camo gear to get? Recommend an entry level crossbow?

Looking to tagalong with someone in the pine barrens and learn the ropes. I'm a 29 year old. Thanks all the help appreciated

Member #
    I began paying my dues in 1971 went towards .........I love the woods,had many fun times,go for it.
    Last edited by hunterbob1; 11-08-2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Didn't finish post lol
    “I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together.” –John Burroughs

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjmartin View Post
    I'm new to the area (Gloucester county) and want to start hunting for deer for food. But really open to anything kind of game. I do not have a license but want to know the proper steps to get out there and start hunting. What do I need to get started for bow hunting? What kind of camo gear to get? Recommend an entry level crossbow?

Looking to tagalong with someone in the pine barrens and learn the ropes. I'm a 29 year old. Thanks all the help appreciated
    You may find someone who will let you "tagalong". I wouldn't hold my breath, most folks treasure their spots, especially if it took time to find a truly productive area. It's not rocket science, use Google maps, find a promising area and get out there. You don't need much to get started, a good knife and boots to start. Plenty of reviews online for crossbows, narrow it down, go to a store that has in stock, or order online. With regard to camo, never believed in it, all you need are earth-tone colored clothing, stealth and some brains to use the wind to your favor.

Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Pinelands is a great place to start! Big woods to explore! Get a GPS! use it learn it your life could depend on it. I moved to the Pinelands after 30 years hunting in Sussex county.
    You can and will get lost in the Pinelands . Mark your truck and take a walk in the woods. Find deer sign and mark that on your GPS .
    Eventually you will have several potential locations to hunt. sit in each one and see what you see.
    Hunting is a learning process and takes patience. Did I mention GET A GPS and learn how to use it LOL
    ChrisNj likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer1962 View Post
    Pinelands is a great place to start! Big woods to explore! Get a GPS! use it learn it your life could depend on it. I moved to the Pinelands after 30 years hunting in Sussex county.
    You can and will get lost in the Pinelands . Mark your truck and take a walk in the woods. Find deer sign and mark that on your GPS .
    Eventually you will have several potential locations to hunt. sit in each one and see what you see.
    Hunting is a learning process and takes patience. Did I mention GET A GPS and learn how to use it LOL
    Thank you. I will for sure get a GPS before heading out there. Don't want to get lost out there. The pines can be so disorienting. I think I will start going out in my backyard because I have woods there. I've never cleaned and butchered a deer but I guess Ill figure it out. Just gotta get out there.

Just figured I put a feeler for someone with some patience to show me the basics. Thanks!

Member #
    Get the dvd and workbook from the state fish and game watch it do the workbook they’re are a few dates left to take the hunting test I think next Wednesday at south jersey shooting club in Winslow and next Sunday at interboro gun club.
    You will learn a lot from the dvd and they show you how to gut a deer field dress.
    I’m in south jersey as well where about in Gloucester county are you in

Member #
    MJ, First you have to get a license,that requires the proper courses for specific weapon. Make hunter friends at work,trust goes a long way.Theres a lot of opportununity in the Pines for hunting.
    DonW2012 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones132 View Post
    Get the dvd and workbook from the state fish and game watch it do the workbook they’re are a few dates left to take the hunting test I think next Wednesday at south jersey shooting club in Winslow and next Sunday at interboro gun club.
    You will learn a lot from the dvd and they show you how to gut a deer field dress.
    I’m in south jersey as well where about in Gloucester county are you in
    I am in Franklinville.

Member #
    There is a new NJ apprenticeship program I believe in NJ that helps with new hunters, pretty interesting to look into.
    DonW2012 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjmartin View Post

Like outdoor said,good idea.Get a NJ hunting digest and there's lots to read in there,good luck.
    “I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together.” –John Burroughs

Sponsors