mineral lick questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: mineral lick questions

Member #
    We put out bmelvin product last week will post up pics when time comes.

Member #
    Last edited by longbow; 07-29-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Member #
    Sounds great guys. Looking forward to some pics. I am planning on being down at Cheyennes Sunday if anyone is looking for minerals. I will be there for a few hours probably starting at 12:30pm
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  79.4 KB
    Last edited by bmelvin; 07-29-2015 at 11:57 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    You definitely want a water source nearby. All the QDMA sites and others discuss this at length. Also, deer prefer a non-flowing water source over a stream when possible. We have a stream that flows through our property, but I dug out two water holes nearby that hold water and the hoof prints around them don't lie. They can hear approaching predators much better when drinking from a small pond or lake than from a rushing stream or river. Also, if you Google mineral recipes, most will be pretty much the same mix. Most of the store bought stuff is mostly salt. There is a member here selling a mineral product that seems to be very well thought out and an excellent blend that would be pre-mixed. It saves the hassle of ordering the ingredients and mixing them yourself.

As for timing, there is no time like the present.
    bmelvin likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Wow, you are good to the deer. Do you leave after dinner mints for them also. lol Seriously, why do you feel the water should be less than 100 yards?
    All have salt and will make them thirsty. Plus it helps them get more into there body.
    Say you had were eating real salty peanut and you had a drink right there you will probably eat more peanuts right, but if you had to go down the road you would not eat many cause you have to leave. Same thing with the deer
    bmelvin and longbow like this.

Member #
    It's a little late to start one but you never know. Loosen up the ground in a 30" circle. remove any grass or debris, clay type soils work the best. Dump a 40lb bag of watersoftner salt (blue bag $4.99) into the loose soil and mix it up with the dirt, doesn't have to mix completely but just so it's not looking like a pile of salt. Dump a cup of grape kool aid mix (the kind with the sugar added) over the top and wait for the results. Setting up near a trail and water source helps greatly. The deer will find it quicker because of the kool aid but after a rain or two the kool aid washes away, the deer keep coming for the salt and the bear don't hang around because the kool aid is gone. You get many different critters coming to the lick.

Member #
    Bmelvin's product worked very well for me. I put it out a little late but they still tore it up and the ground is always turned over when I check on the area. I will definitely be using it next year. He has given me a lot of advice on a few different topics and is very knowledgable when it comes to QDM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck154 View Post
    All have salt and will make them thirsty. Plus it helps them get more into there body.
    Say you had were eating real salty peanut and you had a drink right there you will probably eat more peanuts right, but if you had to go down the road you would not eat many cause you have to leave. Same thing with the deer
    Lol, you eat salty nuts??
    You see the size of that GOSH DARN chicken?

Member #
    I have done the mix your self recipe.And found out the $7 50lbs blocks work better and add a water trough for another $7. Plasgad Medium Mixing Tub-887101A - The Home Depot

Champion's Choice Trace Mineral Salt Block, 50 lb. - For Life Out Here
    The crazy part it a few licks with troughs disappear 3x's faster then a lick 5 miles away with no trough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors