A walk through my place
Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree612Likes

Thread: A walk through my place

Member #

A walk through my place

I thought it would be cool to give a tour of my farm as it progresses and keep updating with pictures and info from time to time. To see the successes and failures along the way and share the fun with all trying to set up a hunting farm from food plots to habitat management. See what works for me and what doesn't. Maybe you could learn something from my mistakes For those that actually own their own properties or who are thinking of buying their own hunting property, there is no greater feeling seeing the fruits of your labor and observing the wildlife who call it home. Thanks for looking

Member #
    Good idea, we did the same for about the first 10 years we at our place
    I once got a small deer discount from the butcher

Member #
    After many whitetail hunting trips, I decided I wanted to buy my own hunting farm. After traveling to the Midwest a few times, Illinois for the most part, I found myself hunting in the western part of Illinois in Calhoun County. From the moment I laid eyes on Calhoun County, I knew this was the place for me. This was a true sportsmans paradise. Not only for deer hunting, but being surrounded by water on three sides, the water fowling in this area is superb as well. Every one thinks of Illinois as flat. Calhoun is the complete opposite. Rugged mountainous farm land with deep hollows, steep bluffs and finger fields of ag crops on the ridges and hillsides. A true whitetail paradise. After a couple of trips out, I finally got the wife to go with me. We all know, if your married, you need to convince her or its just not happening. One trip led to more trips. We walked about 20 different farms in 2012 with Whitetail Properties and Midwest landsales. I found plenty of good "hunting farms" but that was about all they were good for. And they were priced accordingly. My wife wanted something more scenic, a place where we could build a cabin with a beautiful view, a place to ride quads and snowmobiles and a peaceful getaway.. So we walked and walked and walked. I came across this farm online from just a simple website listing and the agent is telling me how nice this farm was and I really needed to see it. So, we arranged another trip to walk a few more farms and take a look. Driving into the hollow I knew the hunting was going to be good just looking at the landscape but of course my wife is going to have to like it or its not happening. Originally, I was looking at 40 acre farms. That was the minimum required in Illinois to get guaranteed land owner tags plus it seemed big enough for me to hunt and plant food plots and have room for a guest or two to hunt also. The farm we were going to look at was 70 acres, almost double of what I wanted. The farm was an old cattle farm years ago and there were no houses or buildings on it. Basically a blank canvas which is what I was looking for. When we pulled into the farm, my wife saw the gorgeous hillside view of the hollow we just drove through. The pic below is what I saw.I knew this could be the one. After walking the farm on 2 different trips, we made an offer and bought the 70 acre farm in December of 2012. This was the beginning of my first ever hunting property.
    Last edited by tcook8296; 03-01-2014 at 07:11 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    About 15 acres of fields with the remaining 55 acres in timber. 2 ponds and a stream

Member #
    My wife finds the first shed

Member #
    The day we closed, we hung this horse shoe on a tree at the top of the hill for good luck

Member #
    Looking good so far man
    tcook8296 likes this.

Member #
    A pic of some of the neighbors

Member #
    Cool! Would like a chunk of land closer to home some day. Keep the updates coming as you go.

Member #
    Beutiful looking piece of land. I wish you much luck with it
    tcook8296 likes this.
    ~ Life is short, enjoy it while you can ~

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Sponsors