New Jersey Hunters banner

Coyote and fox hunting

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  mexdgo 
#1 ·
It's almost January 1, and as most of you know, that means its time to hit the woods with a rifle, yes a rifle. I'm going to be using a 243 with 80 grain psp. I know this isn't practical for fox but its what I got and I'm gonna make it work. If you guys got any tips for other 243 ammo options, let me know. Don't comment saying buy something smaller, that's so impractical. It's not impractical. It's legal, it's what I got, so I'm gonna use it. The only thing I might buy is differint rounds. So let me know if you know of any other rounds that will reduce pelt damage and that are legal. It would be greatly appreciated. Also what are you guys gonna be hittin the woods with?

#3 ·
#13 ·
I'll be trying my 22-250 with 55gr. Hornady SP, 34gr IMR 4064.

#14 ·
I hear more and more remarks about this rifle season. If your skeered stay home. If your pissed your trap animals are getting shot too bad. Just like Bear season it's here to stay.
if that was directed to me Steveo, you're wrong.
i may catch a few k9 a year. more of a **** guy. and i trap private properties. no one should be there anyway.

i just hope the 6 day mentality stays out of this season. it will be interesting.
and here to stay depends on how the hunters act. it can be taken away. public pressure removed the foot hold trap. public pressure can come back to bite us.

i agree with rdfhunter
IMO. 75% of the guys just want to walk around nj woods with a rifle.
rambo types in full force.

#15 ·
Not directed at anyone in particular UB. I just think some people on here have caved to the black gun media hype. An AR15 is a rifle just like any other. There is no difference between Chuck hunting and Pred hunting. You can use the same rifles and guys have been shooting Chucks forever with no problems. I don't know what you mean by 6 day mentality. Trespassers?

#18 · (Edited)
don't know what you mean by 6 day mentality. Trespassers?
get out of my way, here i come.
what posted sign?

yeah. all the joys of 6 day.

i hope it does go well. i for one will be out with my rifle. i have been calling k9's off and on for 25 years. ran hounds with a guy for years also. i like it, just hope it goes well.
i think the public will have some issues. public perception means a lot.
public perception about 6 day isn't the best. heck, a lot of hunters hate 6 day.
now we have guys with rifles and no orange. look at the post above this one. so many questions about what is legal, days before the season starts. not going after lungbuster in any way. but how many guys WILL be out with a muzzle break and magazines and bayonet lug

#20 · (Edited)
I am asking because I don't live in NJ anymore and first year hunting with rifle in NJ.

I have a shotgun to use which I use for Gun season.

If it comes down to it will use shotgun.

I am/will not be hunting get alone and have been hunting for a one time. Just trying out the predator hunt for the first time.

As far as days from the season opener, well I will not be able to hunt until 2 weeks from now. So I have time and this was a last minute invite by a friend.

I have been wanting to do this for a couple years and was going to go with nightstalker a couple years ago.

Sorry for moving to a free state where we do not have complicated regs regarding firearms. :)

#21 ·
My advice to all is to read the 2014 edition of Evan Nappen's book "New Jersey Gun Law" I wonder how many law abiding citizens will be turned into criminals by our ridiculous laws in NJ. I just began reading this book and I can't believe the laws of NJ. absolutely absurd. How can the lawmakers read these laws with a straight face. Be careful what you carry and know the law.

Attachments

#23 ·
A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:
1. a folding or telescoping stock;
2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
3. a bayonet mount
4. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
5. a grenade launcher (really)

I don't believe this includes muzzle breaks as long as they are welded on.

I hate to make this thread about gun laws, but I think the coyote hunting is the easy part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.