Public land problem - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Public land problem

Member #
    Give her the 1-finger salute, and keep on fishing. If you're not trespassing, you have nothing to worry about. Let her call the cops, maybe they'll get her to back off.

Member #
    Maybe if you tell us exactly where these 5 lb. bass are we could come down and help!
    mikejd likes this.

Member #
    i looked on the map. it is public land, owned by the town. The second sign that says "park ends here" is proper, placed by the town. According to the map..it is an illegal sign she placed. Im going back there. If she does call the cops (im an emt in this town anyway so they kinda know me) what do I do? How can I prove to the officers that it is public land?

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jtre View Post
    i looked on the map. it is public land, owned by the town. The second sign that says "park ends here" is proper, placed by the town. According to the map..it is an illegal sign she placed. Im going back there. If she does call the cops (im an emt in this town anyway so they kinda know me) what do I do? How can I prove to the officers that it is public land?
    Print out the tax maps from the NJ state website and show it to them, I guess. How else would they know? They aren't going to go back to their desk in their office and look it up. I personally would call Fish/Wildlife first - cops don't want to hear about a fisherman complaining about a sign posted by a neighbor to keep people out. DFW might be different since that's affecting fishing/hunting activity (and as I posted earlier, what she did is illegal albeit with just a $20 fine).

You might want to just bring the printout of the tax map, a print out of the NJ statute that she violated, and show HER! Tell HER she is violating the law and if that sign stays up and she keeps bugging you, YOU are going to call the police. That might just end it right there.
    rozzo842 likes this.

Member #
    Since you now know for certain where the boundaries are, you can approach her with a tax map in hand in hopes she stops harassing you and others or just call the CO and ask to meet them on site and hand them the map and let them deal with her. If you can avoid confrontation on your own, knock on her door and handle it. If not, let the COs deal because they will.

Member #
    How can I tell if the sign was actually placed by her. It probably is since it isn't logical that the town would suddenly lessen the fishing area but how can I be sure. I want to be absolutely certain that she placed that sign on land that I know for a fact is public.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jtre View Post
    How can I tell if the sign was actually placed by her. It probably is since it isn't logical that the town would suddenly lessen the fishing area but how can I be sure. I want to be absolutely certain that she placed that sign on land that I know for a fact is public.
    You can't know if it was her unless you saw her (or you ask her and she admits to it).

Call a NJ Fish&Wildlife CO (the law enforcement numbers are on their website and the back of your green hunting/fishing license if you have one). Every time I've talked to my local CO he is extremely helpful and at least tries to help. Tell the CO you have an illegal sign posted on public property and would like it to be taken down (let the CO take it down, don't you do it, in case you are wrong Let the CO handle it. Meet him by the sign so you can show him and tell him about the woman shouting you off the property. He'll most likely talk to her and possibly get a confession that she put the sign there (but, big woop, its a $20 fine) - but at least she'll be on notice by a state official that what she is doing is wrong and illegal and she'll most likely stop.

That's how I would handle the situation. I wouldn't confront her myself - you never know about the crazy people in this world. I'd get a Fish/Wildlife CO involved.

Member #
    Buy a used Kayak and fish the whole pond.
    mikejd likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors