For Sale: Custom Flintlock Rifle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: For Sale: Custom Flintlock Rifle

Member #

For Sale: Custom Flintlock Rifle

Selling one of my handmade flintlocks.

This rifle is historically correct. Mike Brooks reproduction of an original Deep River North Carolina rifle. Mike owns the original rifle which dates back to roughly 1815 from the Deep River area of NC. For those that are in the know, there isn't much I need to say about Mike Brooks, his talent and reputation. For those that are not, feel free to research yourself, but Mike is one of the finest builders in the world, who has customers from around the globe. Not sure if he is still building as he was talking about retirement and tending full time to his farm in Iowa at the time of this build or at least slowing down considerably, however at the time he had a nearly two year wait. His rifles started at $1800.00

42 1/4" 1-72 twist swamped Sharon barrel from the 1970’s in .45 caliber. 1" at the breech, 3/4" at the waist and 7/8" at the muzzle. Mike was holding onto this barrel for nearly 19 years waiting for the right build, which he purchased new when a builder from the 1970's who retired, got around to cleaning out his shop. Extremely rare barrel twist today, being slow for a .45 it will handle much more powder and maintain down range accuracy over today's faster twist .45 barrels. Shot very little I found it likes 70 to 80 grains of FFFg powder and will handle 90 grains without issue, which makes for a nice shooting .45 hunting and target rifle.

Tuned Chambers late Ketland lock.

Chambers tuned Siler set trigger. Lock will cock with the trigger set or not, requires the rear trigger set to fire which is correct for southern rifles.

Stock is hard maple. 13 3/4" pull. Weighs 7 1/2 lbs.

I will list here for members for a short time before listing on the traditional forums. Mike's builds rarely come up for sale.

Local pickup in Morris County. Send PM if your interested. $1400.00

Will include a pound of powder, flints, balls and patch material. Comes with two ramrods. One I made as I never use the originals and the original Mike made.

Name:  2qlg9dx.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  61.9 KB
    Name:  1z3qfkk.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  55.1 KB
    Name:  de8sqt.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  55.3 KB
    Name:  314xm6c.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  58.0 KB
    Name:  2uojew2.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  66.8 KB
    Last edited by mikec; 03-22-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    LBI Surfrat and ELKHUNTJB like this.

Member #
    I shoot flint and have 2 custom rifles otherwise I would be all over this.
    This is a great gun by a great builder and at a terrific price for the gun and the extras.
    It's amazing how a long swamped barrel just lays out there effortlessly.
    Someone who wants to get into flintlock shooting should jump at this..... great for target and more than enough for deer.
    mikec likes this.
    "At home a friend will ask, “Been bird hunting?” You will say that you have, and when he asks,” Have any luck?” You will think of what you have held in your heart instead of your hand, and then answer that you certainly did—without a doubt." - Gene Hill

Member #
    Do you have any documentation from Mike Brooks?

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bronzecollector View Post
    Guess your "not in the know"...LOL. The rifle is numbered and signed. But feel free to contact him if your truly interested. Email is probably your best route.
    RPK0620 likes this.

Dominant Buck shootemandmountem's Avatar
    Member #
    That thing is beautiful!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemandmountem View Post
    That thing is beautiful!
    Thanks...Must see in person to appreciate the work. Mike is known for how authentically he replicates age, arguably the best. He put a lot of work into replicating the nicks, dings and wear of the original.
    shootemandmountem likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bronzecollector View Post
    Check Mike Brooks out: index
    "At home a friend will ask, “Been bird hunting?” You will say that you have, and when he asks,” Have any luck?” You will think of what you have held in your heart instead of your hand, and then answer that you certainly did—without a doubt." - Gene Hill

Member #
    If you are into blackpowder with flintlocks then this is a must attend show: The 18th Century Artisan Show Lewisburg PA Contemporary and Antique American Folk Art Show
    mikec likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK0620 View Post
    Check Mike Brooks out: index
    Appreciate the link, should of done that myself...LOL He hasn't updated site pics in years. I have two other builds, one is in Fowlers and the other is not there, neither is this rifle.

Member #
    I bought both of mine from Tim Williams https://williamsflintlocks.com at the Artisan Show in PA a number of years ago. A .36 cal PA Flintlock Rifle, Bucks County style with a 44” swamped barrel 59 ¼” overall and a .50 cal Virginia Style Flintlock Rifle, 42” swamped barrel 57 ½" overall. Used to go to that show regularly and to the Dixon's Gunmakers Fair also. Took the .36 out for squirrels and the .50 for deer and both of them to the range just to shoot a bit. But didn't shoot either one the past 2 years. Got more into SxS's and pheasant and quail hunting. Life is Good !
    mikec likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors