Finished Brittany For Sale - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Finished Brittany For Sale

  1. #11
    Dominant Buck Broadhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,947
    Member #
    416
    Thanked
    411 times
    I bought a Brittany pup from Quail Hollow for $500.00 and returned her to have her trained for 3 months and the total cost was $1,850.00. That was 17 years ago.
    Treat fellow hunters the way you would like to be treated.

  2. #12
    Dominant Buck archer36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,560
    Member #
    5433
    Thanked
    1971 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadhead View Post
    I bought a Brittany pup from Quail Hollow for $500.00 and returned her to have her trained for 3 months and the total cost was $1,850.00. That was 17 years ago.
    What's with this "training" business. If it's obedience training, I understand to a certain extent. These dogs are NATURAL hunters. If they are not, then they are virtually hopeless. I saw a guy in my Gun Club buy a "started" dog. Once the first shot was fired, the dog ran back to the truck and hid in the bed. The dog either has it or it doesn't. Obedience is another issue. I'm not going to pay a $2500 premium for some of that. A famous dog trainer once said: "Great gun dogs are BORN, not made" or something like that. LOL
    Last edited by archer36; 06-15-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    Enjoy life. It has an expiration date.

  3. #13
    Rack Buck gatorguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    355
    Member #
    56426
    Thanked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by archer36 View Post
    What's with this "training" business. If it's obedience training, I understand to a certain extent. These dogs are NATURAL hunters. If they are not, then they are virtually hopeless. I saw a guy in my Gun Club buy a "started" dog. Once the first shot was fired, the dog ran back to the truck and hid in the bed. The dog either has it or it doesn't. Obedience is another issue. I'm not going to pay a $2500 premium for some of that. A famous dog trainer once said: "Great gun dogs are BORN, not made" or something like that. LOL
    Obedience training is the first step. And yes, some dogs have it and some just don't, however every dog needs to be "trained" or "finished" to be a GREAT hunting dog, Mine is 10 months old and is a Natural, from a line of Champions that are graded and scored. Some make and some don't. She points on every bird, squirrel and rabbit, holds well, and id not gun shy, But it will take hundreds of hours for me to get her to were she need to be and constant reassurance that it is done each and every time. You either pay someone to do it of invest the time your self. I will be doing both, and will have invested a lot more than this asking price by the time she is 1 1/2 years old.

    A not so famous dog trainer once told me, Your Gun dog is just like your spouse, love them, take great care of them, But if you let them get away with something "Just Once" it is the new norm.
    Name:  River.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  84.6 KB
    Last edited by gatorguy; 06-15-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    archer36 likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Fawn Luisia02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Member #
    20389
    Thanked
    3 times
    Libby is a Finished dog, She will point and remain standing though the flush and you can return to the dog without her moving. She is priced properly with her training, handling skills and Age, as she turned 3 in May. We compete in AKC field trials and she is not ranging enough to be a top contender. She would be perfect for someone wanting to compete in foot handling akc stakes or hunting.
    gatorguy likes this.

  6. #15
    Rack Buck Bones132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    340
    Member #
    47673
    Thanked
    229 times
    My dog a Gsp is s natural pointer but steady to wing or shot whichever you prefer needs Training for most.
    Some pups don’t retreve naturally and have to be fore fetched or encouraged.
    Having natural instinct is definitely the first step which it helps to be from a good bloodline but to get them where they need to be takes time, training and lots of birds
    For most upland hunters it’s not about killing the birds it’s about seeing the dog work and the abilities of the dog
    Bragging about how long their dog can hold point I heard someone say that they can light a smoke and pour a cup of coffee and the dog will still be on point when they’re finished and he wasn’t joking. It’s about what the full potential of the dog can be and it cost money and lots of time And birds
    gatorguy and Fshon2 like this.

  7. #16
    Spike Rem Mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    232
    Member #
    36511
    Thanked
    93 times
    @ the OP, donít let the few negative posts discourage you....this is a hunting site so your post is appropriate....Just because they donít like the asking price doesnít mean anything. A great hunting dog is a great hunting dog,....but EVERY dog has flaws, itís just a matter of what they are and if the owner or buyer can overlook them..Iíve had beagles for about 25 years and seen lots and lots of them run, going to trials and hunting with other people...Iíve seen dogs that had all kinds of titles and thought the judges must have been blind or got paid off. Iíve hunted over ďgradeĒ dogs that were awesome and the owners would not take thousands of dollars for them. I do believe in a dog either has it or doesnít......itís just how and when it is brought out..... Most people can never be at the level of a professional athlete no matter how much training and practice they have....doesnít mean they arenít good...... but the big question is, would you pay your hard earned money to watch them perform .....Remember the saying ďOne mans junk is another mans treasureĒ.......GLWS
    archer36 and gatorguy like this.

  8. #17
    Rack Buck Bones132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    340
    Member #
    47673
    Thanked
    229 times
    I’m sure she will make someone a fine hunting dog
    I’m not sure if you tried gun dogs online or gun dog Central yet but it’s worth looking at
    Luisia02 likes this.

  9. #18
    Fawn Luisia02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Member #
    20389
    Thanked
    3 times
    thank you I will check it out

  10. #19
    Dominant Buck archer36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,560
    Member #
    5433
    Thanked
    1971 times
    I guess I am one of those "lucky hunters". I bought my first Brittany around 30 years ago from a private breeder. I got her at 6 or 7 weeks of age. When I got her home, I put a Pheasant wing on a fishing pole, whirled it around and tosssed it on the ground. She immediately pointed staunchly. About a few years later, I entered her in a North Jersey Brittany Club Shoot to Retrieve competition. It simulated real hunting. Out of about 15 dogs, she placed first. That's what I mean by "great dogs are BORN, not made. She never received ANY formal training. As another poster said, it's just like an athelete. Some are naturally gifted. With training, all can get better. Now if you don't want to leave anything to chance and pickup a fully trained, proven dog and pay $3500 for it, that's your business. I had 2 more Brittanies after her and they were not as gifted as the first, but certainly not lacking enough to want me to drop that kind of cash.
    Enjoy life. It has an expiration date.

  11. #20
    Monster Buck smittty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,623
    Member #
    8344
    Thanked
    566 times
    Quote Originally Posted by archer36 View Post
    I guess I am one of those "lucky hunters". I bought my first Brittany around 30 years ago from a private breeder. I got her at 6 or 7 weeks of age. When I got her home, I put a Pheasant wing on a fishing pole, whirled it around and tosssed it on the ground. She immediately pointed staunchly. About a few years later, I entered her in a North Jersey Brittany Club Shoot to Retrieve competition. It simulated real hunting. Out of about 15 dogs, she placed first. That's what I mean by "great dogs are BORN, not made. She never received ANY formal training. As another poster said, it's just like an athelete. Some are naturally gifted. With training, all can get better. Now if you don't want to leave anything to chance and pickup a fully trained, proven dog and pay $3500 for it, that's your business. I had 2 more Brittanies after her and they were not as gifted as the first, but certainly not lacking enough to want me to drop that kind of cash.
    i still dont think you get it.... im not even sure if you under stand what a fully finished dog is .. my son started training dogs at 10 years old at 12 he was good at it.... what I am trying to say is it don't take rocket science to train a dog... but to truly turn one out that is fully finished takes time and money...if you do it or a trainer do'es it....ether way your gonna pay and as far as a good breeding yes it helps I own dogs out of long gone boston , kings bomber .but at the end of the day it was birds birds and more birds that make my dogs what they are and birds cost money...... also can you leave you dog on point and go back to the truck for a beer and bite to eat then go back and he's still on point I can but it took time and money ..a hell of a lot more then 3500.00
    Bones132 and gatorguy like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Brittany pups for sale
    By mess240 in forum General Comments & Information
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 09:15 PM
  2. Brittany pups for sale
    By Bucksnbows in forum General Comments & Information
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Tags for this Thread