Hoping to get some hunting in while home for the holidays
    Member #

Hoping to get some hunting in while home for the holidays

Hello all,

I’m a former resident of NJ now living in Texas. I was an avid hunter while living in NJ. I belonged to my local township deer management program and had a few other properties that I was granted permission to hunt through family or friends. I was very lucky. I moved to Texas 3 years ago and was overly excited about the hunting opportunities here, although I was quickly disappointed. Texas provides a hunting utopia for people with the money to spend, for people on a tighter budget such as myself it is very hard to find hunting opportunities. It seems like hunting has become a business for most land owners and the prices are in most cases very high. Texas has a very limited amount of public land and in most cases are regulated by the state with a very low number of permits awarded each year. Add in the fact that I knew no one when I moved here, and it gets even harder to find a place to hunt. It’s sad to say but the only deer I’ve released an arrow on since I moved here has been my Glendel.

This year for the holidays I will be visiting family and friends back in NJ. My brother floated the idea of him and I getting back in a stand and hunting like old times while I was home and it’s all I’ve been thinking about since. Unfortunately, the properties we had permission to hunt on were sold and he is now only hunting with the township deer management program, which will not allow me to hunt with him. We are talking about trying public land, finding a day lease. Or hoping for a land owner who just wants some deer taken off their property. Truth is I just want to get back in a tree or a blind and just enjoy what I used to love again. Obviously if I get a shot at something that would be a huge bonus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Member #
    It shouldn't matter where you hunt and if you get anything. what matters most is that your getting to hunt with your and making memories. good luck and have fun.

Member #
    That new LandTrust thing would be perfect for you guys. Look it up.
    Toxophilite...........

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpthestring View Post
    It shouldn't matter where you hunt and if you get anything. what matters most is that your getting to hunt with your and making memories. good luck and have fun.
    +1

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by toxo View Post
    That new LandTrust thing would be perfect for you guys. Look it up.
    This..........

Unless you are specifically looking to gain access to someone's private property there are plenty of wmas and other state and county land available that could provide some opportunities. It sounds like you are from the Franklin township area, so you have Assunpink and Coilers mills fairly close. Both are very large and finding a spot especially on a weekday should not be a problem, just be mindful that there are pheasant stockings at both of them during the week and that can work for your advantage as well as disadvantage.... sorry I can't offer any private land as I am in a small club and guests are not allowed..

Sponsors