Hunters, Bait, Hunters, Bait, Hunters, Bait, Bait, Bait, Bait, Bait
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Well, I'm struggling to maintain count of bait piles I find in the woods. Seems like everyone is baiting and its a battle of who has the biggest bait pile.

Unfortunately, my buddy informed me of a feeder he and his brother found about 1/4 mile from one of my spots. Says the area was torched with print and old rubs/scrapes. Meh, feel like I wasted a bunch of time in that stand location, and was always wondering where the bucks were. I baited it, but not daily (ala feeder).

I hate baiting, hate it hate it hate it.
    I also found two stands not far from another one of mine, both heavily baited (not recently, but you can tell the way the ground it torn up).

Makes it pretty difficult to "pattern" deer. Guess you are better off just running and gunning. Find fresh sign and hunt it...chances are you are cutting someone off (within 1/4 mile or less) of the area but thats where the deer are.

Sorry had to vent...anyone find baiting to be a royal pain in the ass? Maybe its time to bring in one of those big TX 1 ton feeders!!!

Either that, or just start fishing in the fall and winter instead!

Member #
    dont worry about it..In spots where i hunt with my friends, you are lucky if you are 1/4 mile from other stands..We hunt spots in momouth where you can find a bait pile every 50 yards..But you still have to hunt the area if there is a big buck there..Dont give up cause someone has bait out..Big bucks dont always hit the bait and if they do chances are its at nite.Keep hunting your spot and you will be the hero when you kill the big boy..And dont give up hunting for fishing, while fishing is fun there is nothing like shooting a big buck..

Member #
    lets face it everyone baits deer in nj well mostly. i hate baiting too. hate buying it, carring it and having deer eat it up in one night. hate sitting hours in the stand to have the deer come five mins before dark to wait you out but yet i still do it.
    Video the hunt. keep it real.

www.jerseywhitetails.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    You can still pattern deer on food sources...if you know what I mean.

If someone doesn't like it, tell them not to dump the corn. Normally, I would never advocate cutting someone off like that, but I'm so sick of the baiting problem on public lands, I think the only way to solve it is shoot the deer before they get to the master baiter. Then leave the master baiter a thank you note, maybe with a nice picture of the buck.

Member #
    Matt,
    I've been having the same problem for four years now. It's almost like you have to pattern the people and not the deer! I've given up on many good stand locations in the past couple of years, because of the same problem you are having. The area you hunt is VERY big, maybe go in deeper or look for a little out of the way spot that other people walk right past. baiting is a pain, but it helps(a little).
    Slick Trick 125

Member #
    Guys, I hear ya. I was thinking if they ever stopped baiting...it would take like a year or two just to get the deer back under "normal" patterns and all my stands would change again.

I've been everywhere in these woods...from wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in to hunting barely in at all. I am finding bait everywhere. My buddy was in at a spot we used to hunt a few years back, its about a 3/4 mile walk in through trails. Two stands and bait back right where we used to hunt.

I agree its becoming more about patterning the people and their bait piles and how the deer will use the terrain given the change, but on the same token its impossible to keep track of the changes. Guys come in and drop bait at any time during the season and it changes everything around you.

I'm beginnging to think you are better off just running and gunning, but you'll be cutting other hunters off. On the other hand, they have been cutting me off for years. I don't think you can avoid it, bait draws deer from a good distance and any bait added to the woods changes things (what we perceive as getting cut off).

I'm trying to plan out my stand locations for next year, various seasons, various winds...and I feel like I'm just wasting my time. On the same token, if I go in during the season (in these particular woods) and hang a stand/clear ANYTHING...the deer are going to blow out quick. So that leaves me hunting semi open areas, which these deer won't venture into during daylight.

It's like an endless conflicting cycle of madness...and we call it hunting.

I may just find ONE area and hang several stands for various winds and just bait the ever living hell out of it. Have some stands on the bait, and others away from it on trails leading up to it. I guess it will be harder for guys to come in and cut me off because my exterior stands will have those places covered.

We'll see...I'll be planning next weekend's scouting based on things I found this weekend and in the past.

And despite all this...I haven't found any sheds near these bait sites. That's pretty funny...wonder where the bucks went? Back to the base, or refuges, or private land somewhere. Only buck activity I'm seeing on my cams is on that small private chunk in Zone 16. Zone 18 has been buck dead.

Member #
    stop baiting it does no real good for you most of the time you will find bigger and better deer away from a bait pile as they will not come into the pile during day light hours as for zone 18 i do not bait and i see more than my fair share of bucks just not right where i need them to be and the baiters change their travel patters before i can move in closer just my 2 cent

Member #
    njhunter:

I could hunt away from hunters in a nice pocket of terrain and see no deer if I didnt bait. Or I can get a little "closer" to another hunter and intercept the deer before they get to his bait. Or sit between several baiters and catch all kinds of movement. I don't know, just doesn't feel the same to me, as each year passes I just get more indifferent about hunting in this state. Guess that is why I try to go elsewhere during the peak of November. The Mill certainly is getting more and more guys each year...this year was the worst we've seen in respect to other hunters popping up in areas we hunt.

Member #
    i hunted the mills about 40 days this passed year and only once ran into another hunter that i had to move i never see anyone when hunting never had one hunter walk in or out near or by my you just have to find the right spots and i stiil see plenty of deer with no baiting i just do my home work and go were others will not go and the deer are their trust me only thing is they are always 45 yards away from me lol

Member #
    njhunter, you use a climber? Carry in and out, move around alot? Or do you have set spots that you hunt consistently?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors