Watchung Reservation Deer Management Program...
    Member #
    Watchung deer hunt to start on March 26
    Posted by The Record-Press March 15, 2007 4:58PM
    Categories: Government and Politics
    The Union County Department of Parks, Recreation & Facilities has released details of its annual Watchung Reservation Deer Management Program, which will begin on Monday, March 26.

From 1996-1999, the county's state-approved deer management program worked to reduce the number of deer in the Watchung Reservation from an estimated 180 deer per square mile to a density of 20 deer per square mile. This goal was achieved one year earlier than anticipated. The program currently underway, begun in 2000, changed the emphasis from reduction to maintenance of that density level.

The Watchung Reservation Deer Management Program will operate from approximately 5:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. from Monday, March 26 through Wednesday, March 28. In the event of inclement weather, Thursday and Friday, March 29 and 30 may become program days, but under no circumstances will the program extend past Friday.

Twelve marksmen chosen by the county have been selected to serve on a voluntary basis. The deer that are killed will be processed at a USDA-approved butcher. Venison will be distributed to the needy and homeless through the Community FoodBank of New Jersey.

Teams of agents will be supervised by the Union County Police and representatives from New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife. Anyone found hunting on any county park property outside the terms of the program will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, said county officials. Citizens observing such illegal activity are urged to immediately contact Union County Police at (908) 654-9800.

Watchung Reservation will not be closed during the deer management program; however, portions of some roadways in the park may be closed for short periods if necessary. Park patrons are urged to stay on marked hiking, walking and bridle trails.

The Union County Department of Parks, Recreation & Facilities will be mailing information about its annual deer-management program to households surrounding the park. Copies also will be available at Trailside Nature & Science Center, 452 New Providence Road, and the Watchung Stables, 1160 Summit Lane, both

Member #
    I hope they can do something like this at South Mountain Res., except with UBNJ and for the whole season.

Member #
    hey i wonder what this cost? and was it taxpayers money or because its a park was it our money? cause i sure dont want to pay for sharpshooters out of my license money.
    i pay to hunt here....do you "pay to hike here"

the 2nd ammendment is more important than the 1st..."have you ever tried to talk yourself out of getting robbed?"

The forest is one big food plot

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Its free, as I understand. They used NJ Hunters

Member #
    Being that I've ridden my motorcycle through the Watchung Reservation on a ton of occasions I can this, there are a lot of BIG deer in there. Too bad we hunters aren't allowed in there.

David
    NJ... Where fun comes to die!

Member #
    I have shot that shoot for a few years,and the deer hear is down quit a bit from when it was first started about 12 years ago.We used to see heards a 30 + coming into the bait sites,with more the 2/3 being bucks and we were only aloud to shoot females the first two years.After that it was anything goes down.Now that is a place that should be opened up yo all bowhunters

Member #
    Tomski

I can not agree more!

Member #
    What area did you hunt Tomski - I grew up over by horsestable. I use to see groups of P&Y bucks regularly there. They would walk right by you if you walking in the woods- and like all NJ - was hunted by guys.

Did any of the big bucks get shot while you were involved?

Sponsors