Planning to start hunting this year, and I have a stupid question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi all.

I'm planing to try hunting this year for the first time. I'm not new to firearms, I shoot a few different types of competition and own most types of firearms for one purpose or another.

However none of my firearms are ideal for deer hunting in NJ, so I find myself planing to buy a gun this year. The question is as a brand new guy, am I better off starting with a muzzleloader or a shotgun? The muzzleloader should (at least in theory) give me access to a longer and earlier season, but it would be my first muzzleloader ever so I would have to add a whole bunch of gear I don't currently own, and learn a slightly different set of skills at the same time as learning the basics of hunting. A shotgun moves me into a shorter season with more competition, but it a platform I'm familiar with and for which ammo purchases and handling are a lot simpler to deal with.

What do you guys think is the better path for my first year out? Oh yeah .. bows are out for me for now, as they require not only a whole different set of gear but a also whole different set of skills.

Thanx

Member #
    try shotgun first....easy to do....you will catch on quick

Member #
    I reside in Sayreville but where I'm going to go hunting will most likley be anywhere but here I don't mind driving a couple of hours. Right now it looks like the two most likely areas I would try would be 18 (having access to the CJRPC property and with Collier Mills right next door) or 42, where one of my family members owns some suitable tract of land.

I picked up the materials for the courses, and I'm tempted to buy one shotgun and one ML just so I can get both tests out of the way in one day, even if I only pick one for the season.

Never having been out there during the hunting season, it seemed to me from what I'm reading that the 6day firearm was a lot more crowded and I was thinking that I should give myself every advantage. If not for that factor, the shotgun would have been a no brainer

Right now I'm in sponge mode where I'm reading every scrap of information I can find, and this forum is helping. Heck, if I end up enjoying deer hunting I'll need a whole other set of gear to try turkey. I'm sure the wife is gonna love that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Welcome.Try a Rem 870 shotgun then maybee the muzzleloader

Member #
    locaber. sayreville resident here aswell. take both courses for shotgun and muzzleloader to get them both out of the way. you wont need to actually own a muzzleloader to take the test so dont worry bout buying one if you dont want to now.
    in central jersey you will have an extremely long season with the shotgun so youll have plenty of time to learn. dont be intimidated by the amount of guys out on 6day its def a lot worse in print than it is in reality. my best piece of advice is to hunt deer well in nj you have to "hunt the land" not the actual deer. what i mean by that is, the more you know the land the more you can come to an educated conclusion of where the deer will be. any particular questions you have just ask away, send a pm if you want

Member #
    Mossberg 500 good starter gun and cheap too you can add slug barrel to it if you want. Thats my advise
    Roly Ramirez

Member #
    welcome to the site and good luck most southern zones have a short season i would go with zone 15-7-8 they have pleanty of state land to hunt assunpink in zone 15

Member #
    Thanx guys. Another question .. Should I start with stand hunting or still? I assume stand would be "easier", but that assumes that my newbie skills will allow me to place the stand in a decent spot. Also, looking at stand designes I see about 47 different designs and they all look alien to me. Which type/model/design do you recommend?

Member #
    welcome to the site....well you could start with a mossberg 500 combo..that will get u into deer and small game..and wont blow your budget .i would skip the stand for now ....but thats up to you...or maybe u can bring me and my stand to that land your family owns ((wink wink))..
    Silent souls make .308 holes

Member #
    And another one .. I do own a Mossberg 500, but it a tactical model. I can block the magazine, and it is a very accurate gun for a short barreled smoothbore (about 1.5 inches, center to center, 5 shots, at 50 yards with the Brenneke Heavy Field Short Mags) but will I get really strange looks from the other folks in the woods?

I'm kinda liking the the lines of the NEF Ultra Slug for some reason. Its a single shot but given all the other variables I figure if I miss, a quick follow up won't matter so much. Am I wrong? Do follow up shots present themselves very often?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors