need a tip on how to get them to take another step closer - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: need a tip on how to get them to take another step closer

Member #
    Try to face your hen decoy in the opposite direction from where your toms will come from .. Stateland birds love to hold up at 60yards and strut if they think your decoy can see them. IMO
    LBI Surfrat likes this.
    The act of killing is visceral .......

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzgolf View Post
    Well, practically the same thing this morning. HA! This damn bird is now on my hit list. Once again, all morning, from 5:45am till about 9am he was gobbling all morning. I'm sure it was the same bird from Saturday. He didn't come in as close as he did on Saturday. He seems to only stay in this one area. He walks back and forth. There is a trail here that I set up next to - I put a Jake and a Hen just on the edge of the trail, hoping he would see it as he crosses the trail to go to and fro. I think I was between 100 to 200 yards from him as he was walking around, and I estimate he came in as close as maybe 75 yards a few times. But I don't think he was close enough to see the decoys.

A couple times when I heard him gobble and could tell he wasn't close by, I got up, quickly moved back away from the bird about 30 yards (either into the woods further, or I would move down the trail) and I would put out a yelp, then quickly get back into my spot hoping to make it seem like the "hen" is moving and going away. He would gobble back, but again, didn't get too close. I was hoping he would walk down the trail.

At about 7:30, I had yet another hen come in! Walked right past my decoy on the trail. Yet another perfect shot on a hen, if it were the fall season. Three days - three hens, all within 10 to 20 yards, clear shot. Crazy how the hens feel no fear coming into my setup, but the boys are paranoid. I also heard another hen softly yelp a little further up. I was hoping the Tom would hear those hens and come closer, but never did. Those hens left, and the gobbler stayed in this one area, just going back and forth.

I'm gonna start thinking about being more mobile. Up to now, I'm sitting in the same spot when the bird is over 100 to 200 yards away. I think maybe I should try to get a little closer if I sense he's hung up.

Thing that sucks is the rain is coming most of the week. I hope it doesn't screw up his pattern. This is my last week for this zone - though I do have the rest of the E period here, also.

Anyway, I'll keep trying, and I'll post the next frustrating thing that happens to me At least I'm in the right spot and get to hear the birds all morning. That is a good, fun frustration. (bad frustration is being in the woods and not hearing a single thing - been there, done that, too).
    Loose the decoys and get closer, you are way too far away

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bucndoe View Post
    Loose the decoys and get closer, you are way too far away
    I'm gonna try that next - tomorrow we got rain, so I'm going to a buddy's place where i have a field I can hunt in a blind. But Wednesday looks like it will clear up a bit so I'll go back then. I'll take a hen decoy with me just in case, but I'm not going to deploy it unless I feel I need to. I need mobility - I'm gonna try to get closer than what I have been doing.

After two days, I have a sense for how and where this bird moves - so I think I'll be able to get in a better, closer position. There actually are other toms that I've heard in and around this spot, but, I want THIS one

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Sometimes silence is golden. ..call to get an answer then put the call away...

Member #
    Set up closer. Call lightly. Once he starts hammerin hit em with one of them gobbler shaker calls. I think mine is from Hunter Specialities. He will come runnin. Just be careful

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyes11 View Post
    Set up closer. Call lightly. Once he starts hammerin hit em with one of them gobbler shaker calls. I think mine is from Hunter Specialities. He will come runnin. Just be careful
    Yeah, I had a gobbler call with me and contemplated using it - but this is public land, and while I think I have the place to myself, I didn't want to risk it. I did hear shots last Saturday but sounded like they were very far off in the distance.

Member #

I shall name him Kirk, and I am his Kahn

The saga continues. This turkey (which I assume is the same one I've been hunting for days now) is either very smart or has some technological advantage over me that I am not aware of.

I have named him - he will be henceforth called "Kirk". Why? Because I swear this turkey beamed up and teleported away right before I was about to pull the trigger.

Here's the story - I'll try to be quick, but I need to vent again

I hunted this turkey from sun up to about 9:30am this morning. I did the run-n-gun thing and had more success that way. I rarely called, but he gobbled for over 4 hours, so it was easy to find out where he was (Lots of crows and geese around and this guy tends to shock-gobble at them.) If he moved away, I would try to get closer to him. At times he would be real close, but then move away again - but I didn't let the frustration get to me. I know where this bird travels now, so I just tried to move and head him off. Came close a few times, but never close enough for a visual on him. After hunting this guy for hours, I finally felt I had him in a good spot. I let out a yelp and sat still, gun up. He was down a path and I could tell he turned my way and started coming after that last call I let out. Gobbling got louder and louder, closer, and closer. Heart is pounding, I FINALLY see him for the very first time after days of tracking him down. Single-beard but he looked plump! Fat ol' Tom.

My sight picture is this - there are two skinny trees right next to each other about 30 yards away, and just to the left of those is a dense bush. Clear, open area to the left of the bush. Kirk is walking right to left - he passes behind those two skinny trees. The shot looked iffy to me - I don't know if it is a good shot - trees are close together with some vegetation between. I can't decide if I should shoot the field goal as his head goes between the two skinny trees or wait. I decide to wait. I think "If he continues walking straight like he is, he'll pass behind the dense bush, out the other side and its a wide open shot once he comes back in view past the bush." He goes behind the bush - can't see him. I put the bead of the shotgun just to the left of the bush - as soon as he peeks that gorgeous little red head out, its all over and I got him. I wait for him to pass the bush... and I wait.... and I wait. WTH?!?!?! What is taking him so long? He just had to make 5 or 6 more steps to come out from behind the bush! What is he doing? All of a sudden, I hear him gobble 15 yards further left of me and away to my front-left down a small embankment and I can't see him!!!!!!!!!!

Did that just [email protected]#$% happen??? How did he go from behind a bush about to come out the other side, to 15 yards further away and completely out of sight??? The only explanation is Scotty beamed him up, and transported him down the hill. (ok, the other explanation is he must have turned 90 degrees when behind the bush, walked away, down the hill, then back left again).

I sit there stunned. I can't believe it. How did he do that? I just keep saying to myself, "what in the world just happened?" By this time, its about 9:30am. He's still close by, gobbling every now and then. But he is walking away. Rain is starting to come down. I gotta go back to work, I can't hunt this turkey for another hour and try to get him close again. "OMG," I say to myself, "is it possible I am actually leaving here empty handed???" Answer: uhhh... yup.

I have two more days left on the B permit and the rest of E for this zone. So 5 days left. I will not bend, I will not surrender, I will not rest until I get Kirk. I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round perdition's flames before I give him up! (Or until my 5 days are up. )

Member #
    When hunting turkeys you need to take the shot that presents itself, it ain't always going to be perfect. Sure some pellets would have hit those trees but I'm sure some would have filled your tag as well

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bucndoe View Post
    When hunting turkeys you need to take the shot that presents itself, it ain't always going to be perfect. Sure some pellets would have hit those trees but I'm sure some would have filled your tag as well
    Yeah. I thought about that after - and I am kicking myself for not taking that shot. I'm thinking I always need a clear, perfect shot every time. I was worried about the trees and vegetation getting in the way some. But I did have a clear view of his head, and it was only about 30 yards. I should have pulled the trigger. I keep thinking it has to be perfect. This is where not having a mentor hurt me. Just not sure what is or is not a good shot yet. The turkeys I have harvested in the past have been clear, open shots. Just not used to shooting them any other way.

I hope he is still around tomorrow. I think I really got it down now on getting in close. Just have to do it again.
    Georion likes this.

Member #
    You found his man cave. Be there tomorrow morning and shoot him in the face when you have the shot you want. You did everything right today, tomorrow you can seal it ....if not ya got Friday. He didn't get big by being stupid. Be patient, good luck.

Nick

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sponsors