Need help finding a medical doctor that will sign off for gun permit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Need help finding a medical doctor that will sign off for gun permit.

Member #

Need help finding a medical doctor that will sign off for gun permit.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but I came here to hopefully resolve the issue I'm having once and for all. I'm trying to find a medical doctor that will sign off so I can get my gun permit.

Long story short, when I was younger (10+ years ago) I had family issues that lead me to have anger problems and was truant and didn't want to go to school - I was sent to a mental institution to be evaluated but was deemed not a threat and released the same day. Obviously, due to the fact that I went to such an institution it came up during my gun application process. The Sgt. in the local PD I have been working with has been extremely helpful during this year-long-gun-application-limbo with me trying to find a medical doctor, however after speaking with numerous psychologists, psychiatrists and medical doctors no one wanted to get involved and sign off for me, and we all know the answer why, they didn’t want to be held accountable if something were to happen. After I exhausted all options and had no one else to turn to I found a forensic psychologist who is one of the most reputable in New Jersey. I told him my story, he agreed to help, and he evaluated me and wrote a very lengthy and detailed report that I was mentally fit, I do not have a mental disorder, and that I'm safe to handle firearms (the biggest delay in the process of this was waiting on my medical records from the hospital so the forensic psychologist could base his report around it). It was personally submitted to the local PD by him and I was told by the Sgt. that it looks incredible and it was much more detailed than he expected, he told me he needed to run it by a few people and he would call me back but he said I should be good to go. However, he called back a few days later and told me that we want to accept you but you will still need to have a signature from a medical doctor… I was at a loss for words! I paid a great amount of money, went for a mental evaluation that took hours and tested me on numerous levels, and that wasn’t good enough? When I told the psychologist what happened, he said they should have approved it. So, I’m back at square one and if I can’t find a medical doctor this time around I will have to have my application rejected and appeal it in court, and I will most likely be using Nappan (one of the forensic psychologists recommendations) to represent me, along with bringing in the forensic psychologist that evaluated me. At this point, this is one of my last options coming to this forum, if anyone has any recommendations of a doctor that is familiar with this type of stuff please direct me in their direction by either leaving a comment below or private message.

FYI: Why do I want my gun permit? I’m in college graduating soon with a degree in Homeland Security/Counter Terrorism — I want to get this out of the way now before I attempt to join the DHS. I know this issue in my past will be in the spotlight again during the investigation into my background and the psychological questions/testing that they administer. However, I feel I will have an advantage that I obtained my gun permit beforehand so I will be able to have that to support me, since to get it I was evaluated and deemed mentally fit — as well as the cross reference with having a detailed report from a forensic psychologist on hand to provide if necessary, so I feel this issue from my past will be able to be put to rest. The scenario I imagine while trying to join the DHS and not already having this dealt with in some way would feel like a nightmare.

Thanks you for looking.
    Last edited by newjersey1; 05-04-2018 at 02:54 AM.

Member #
    Another dumb ass post. This site is going down the drain.
    kenny10177 likes this.
    Have at it son

Member #
    How is this post dumb? I have a legitimate problem that I need help solving from the community. Why even post a reply that is irrelevant to my OP?
    DonW2012 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    The reply to the OP is a dumb post, if nothing relevant to add just skip it and move on. That being said, consult with a lawyer.

Member #
    Having your gun permit means nothing to DHS. They are going to do their own background check. Their findings are final say, and the fact that your town issued you a Firearms ID Card means squat.
    12slug likes this.

Member #
    In N.J. , attorneys win FID cards and never Drs ...
    The act of killing is visceral .......

Member #
    You will never pass the Government background check for Homeland Security no matter what your doctor or Lawyer says or writes.
    12slug likes this.
    HONOR THE FALLEN
    http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/

Over the years the United States has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Member #
    To the OP: Unfortunately, you're on a hunting forum, not a gun forum. I always thought hunters were generally gun people too but I've learned that's not really true. you'll get a lot more help where you posted on the other site. Good luck.
    DonW2012 likes this.
    -Ryan

Member #
    Ryan.
    The OP was about finding him a doctor to write him a letter so he could get a permit. Not about guns.
    Have at it son

Member #
    I would refer to a lawyer. You need to get your record clear if you intend to work for the government. Or any thing related to your field. And secondly make sure that your local PD is following proper protocol.
    All wet labs smell good!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors