New Jersey Hunters banner

nice google maps of all zones

6K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Broadhead26 
#1 ·
I just came across this. Maps outlining all the deer zones, turkey zones, WMAs, and even bear zones.

Wow, these are really nice. Kudos to whoever put these together. You can view these in Google Earth, Google Maps, and even download the .kmz (which I assume you should be able to then install on your GPS device - which I plan on doing).

https://sites.google.com/site/njhuntingmaps/home

#9 ·
I'm already doing some additional virtual scouting with these. :D Works great by looking at these via Google Earth.

The one problem is I can't render these in my Garmin ETrex 20 GPS device. I think Garmin only supports .kmz files with actual jpg images in them, rather than a simple .kmz file that has just a single doc.kml with the coordinates of the points (which is what these maps are - which is actually pretty nice, too bad my GPS can't render it). Unless someone knows a trick to get this to show in my Garmin. Anyone know of any GPS devices that CAN render these .kmz files?

#10 ·
I use MyMaps on Google to mark my hunting spots and what is/isn't public huntable land in the area. I can download the kml file from Google and open it up in Garmin BaseCamp, which you can download from https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435 After you open it you can then export it as several different file types (gpx, gdb, csv, kml, tcx, or txt) My Garmin GPS Map 60cx uses the gpx files just fine.

#14 ·
Keith - thanks alot for this! I've been wanting something like this for, like, forever :) I just stumbled upon your files doing an unrelated google search. FWIW, I have a .kmz file with the boundaries of the southern Special Goose Season Winter Zone. If you want, send me your email and I can send it to you. You might have to tweek it (it has a yellow fill area rather than transparent, but I bet its a simple edit to the .kml file to change it). But I think its a start - you can add a new section to that website with the special goose season zones. I don't have the north or coastal though, I only did the south.

#15 ·
mazgolf, Sure I'll be glad to use it. I've been thinking about adding those maps its just I find myself doing others like State Parks & Forests. I'll PM you my email. BTW, As I continue I've found some boundary errors while making the maps. (Mainly the WMAs and Land Trusts) but I feel it gives a general location as the tax maps are off a bit. It adjust them...just takes time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.